We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui vs Big Island with 2 year old

Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Maui vs Big Island with 2 year old

Looking for feedback!!

My husband and I are big travelers and we’re excited to begin traveling with our son. We’re planning our five year anniversary trip to Hawaii during October 2018 and will be bringing our son who will be 2 years old at that time. We live in Michigan so travel will be lengthy, however that’s not our concern as our son does very well on flights.

We will be starting our trip in Kauai for 6 nights at the newly remodeled Koloa Landing Autograph Collection hotel. We’re now debating between Maui or the Big Island for our second and final leg of the trip. My husband and I are very familiar with Maui as we’ve traveled there a few times recently, however we really know nothing about the Big Island other than being known for its volcanic activity. We’ll be using our points at either island and also would like input on our selected hotels!

In Maui, we’d be staying at the newly remodeled Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott——— and in the Big Island we’re debating between the Autograph Collection Mauna Kea, the NEW Westin Hapuna Beach Resort, or the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort... don’t know much about any of these properties other than we can use our points there.

Thanks in advance for input!

10 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui vs Big Island with 2 year old

As I said on the other thread, Maui.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui vs Big Island with 2 year old

I would probably pick Maui too but how many days would you have for the Big island? You would have to avoid Volcano national park with the 2 year old.

Edited: 16 November 2017, 17:00
Maui
Level Contributor
70,216 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui vs Big Island with 2 year old

And I still agree with Honu :-).

Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui vs Big Island with 2 year old

We would be staying 6 nights in each island. Realizing that we'd have to skip the volcano is making me lean towards Maui.

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui vs Big Island with 2 year old

My vote would be for Maui with a two year old, having done so with our children and over recent years with our grandchildren including the two year olds. Beaches in Maui are great for the little ones, great playground in Kihei too not far from Wailea if you need a change from the beach. We are on the Big Island now. Some nice beaches in the Kohala area of Hawaii but often very windy.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui vs Big Island with 2 year old

I don’t see any reason why Maui would be preferable. You’ve been there already. The Mauna Kea hotel is on one of the best beaches in Hawai‘i. The remodel at the Prince looks like it’s going to be amazing and it’s on a beach that rivals any on Maui (although I prefer Kaunaoa at the Mauna Kea). I would definitely not choose the Marriott Waikoloa though.

All the best beaches on the island are a short drive from each other, there are tons of good opportunities for a two year old to experience marine life, seeing abundant turtle, the ancient fishponds, the octopus farm, seahorse farm, monk seal rehab center. The BI beaches are much less crowded than Maui, as is the island in general.

It’s also absolutely not true that the Kohala acoast beaches are “often very windy”. Sure wind happens, but in all the islands, and there’s nothing about that spot that makes it windier.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,871 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui vs Big Island with 2 year old

I would do something new. For beach, the conditions for a small child are much better at the Mauna Kea, but it has a deficient pool, so I’d possibly pick the Hapuna and pay for beach service privileges at the Mauna Kea, sister hotel with a short shuttle connection.

As Shea said, no to the Marriott, big no.

Avoid going during Ironman. You’ll be away from it, but the car rentals cost more and there’s just no reason to pick that week with all this lead time planning.

The Big Island has many fantastic things other than the volcano. I certainly didn’t come here for that. It’s just travel writers always promote something that no other island has. The Big Island has much less traffic crunch than either Maui or Kaua’i. Waimea is a cool upcountry town only 15-20 minutes from the Hapuna, which has a playground if that matters. It’s so much shorter than driving from Wailea to Makaweo, as a way to shift gears from the coastal weather.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,770 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui vs Big Island with 2 year old

Go where YOU want to go. Your Two will be happy wherever Mom and Dad are relaxed and happy. Six nights on the Kohala Coast should be fine. I'd prefer a condo to any hotel -- separate living quarters for parents to relax after early bedtime for the child; kitchen; washer/dryer; room size lanai. Actually, I would stay in one place for the full time and skip the tedious 'in transit' part between islands. We have never spent less than two weeks on any of the islands.

California
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui vs Big Island with 2 year old

I live on the Big Island and love it. You certainly can have a great time here as a family but the same is true of Maui AND beaches are less rocky and more user-friendly on Maui. The distances from place to place on Maui are less which is nice when schlepping little ones around. Try the BI when your kid(s) are older esp if they grow up as science nerds.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui vs Big Island with 2 year old

You live on the Big Island and you think our beaches are “rocky” and not “user friendly”? You bumped a topic from several months ago to chime in on that? I think you need to spend more time outside of Kailua Kona or wherever you live because that’s just not the case. We have some of the nicest,, sandiest, quietest, best swimming beaches in the state. More than enough for a person to visit a different one each day on a weeklong trip, which no one ever does anyway,

Also with a child that age, where you’ll normally be visiting around the BI will actually involve a lot LESS time in the car than on Maui because almost all of our good beaches are within a short radius, and within the Kohala districts, we don’t have the traffic issues Maui has. With a two year old you hopefully won’t be going to Volcano or to tour coffee farms.

“Science nerds”?.🙄

(Btw, your profile says you live in California).

Reply to: Maui vs Big Island with 2 year old
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted