We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Lani Condos

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
539 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Mauna Lani Condos

I am looking for a condo rental and am totally confused by what is available at Mauna Lani. Can somebody help me straighten this out? I have looked at the Villages and the Fairways, I believe.

Some have mentioned walking distance to private beach. I thought private beaches didn't exist in Hawaii.

I need a map or a website to get a handle of all that is available.

Mahalo

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauna Lani Condos

The www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/bigresort.html web site lists all the condos and resorts, just click on the name of the condo on the map and you will get a more detailed info with pictures. (Make sure you don't buy their books though!)

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
539 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauna Lani Condos

Of course I will check it out...I have already bought these books and used them. Are they controversial?

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
237 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauna Lani Condos

Both the Fairways and the Villages are not with in walking distance to the private beach club. The beach is still public but you can not park close enough to make it easy. The parking lot is private and gated. You will need a beach club access card to get your car in.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,569 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauna Lani Condos

There is a beach club at what I call the Boat House Beach (to distinguish it from the beach right at the hotel). The parking lot is private and you need a key card. I have no idea whether condos come with a key card. The beach itself and the dining facility there (light fare during the day) are open to the public.

Only the (older) Terrace and Point condos are within what I'd tell people is easy walking distance to either beach. There is "public access" beach parking near the ML spa; it is about a 10 minute walk to the beach from there, on a paved trail that starts at the restrooms. Villages and Fairways are quite a bit inland, surrponded by lava and golf course.

If you go to the Mauna Lani website and go to the real estate link there will be links to maps of the various complexes. The hotel site may also have a map, not sure.

Boston...
Level Contributor
141 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mauna Lani Condos

I did a lot of research into these condos as well and I found the map on the Mauna Lani Realty website to be most helpful. Also, from multiple reviews and ratings from other vacation companies it sounds like the condos on the golf course (Villages, Fairways) are newer and more likely to feel very luxurious, but definitely not walking distance to the beach. Also, it sounds like you can't use the pool at the ML hotel, but can use the ML main beach as well as the "private beach club" which sounds like a separate beach area and there is a separate pool.

I think the rates for any of these condos are quite good and one travel agent told me that "they are all nice, because it's the Mauna Lani." In the end, though, I ended up booking a room at the hotel itself because my kids are still young enough that we can do it comfortably and I think it will be worth it to be right on site. I am going to miss the convenience of the kitchen and laundry, though.

Let us know how the ML condo experience works out! Meanwhile, I will be trying to figure out the easiest (least expensive) way to do laundry while at the hotel!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,873 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mauna Lani Condos

>>the ML main beach

while there is beach fronting the Mauna Lani it's not what a lot of us think of as Hawai'i beach. It's rocky and has a shallow area that's really shallow. Not anything like Hapuna Beach or A-Bay. More of a walking along the shore or enjoying a chair beach area than a swimming beach.

The classic picture of beach is found in miniature at the Beach Club, which is tiny. There are chairs on the beach not for use by the public, so there is a private aspect. The sand is free to use, such as isn't covered by the loungers. To be honest it does feel almost like a private beach -- in what I'd call a bad way.

Last time I was there, one of the condo renters told me how several of the other condo renters were vocalizing their upset that some locals (service people) actually dared to come down to the beach --for lunch break or something. The locals were laughing and talking and disrupting the guests' suntanning or something. Much like "they let poor brown people use our clubhouse. We thought it was exclusive" Ickk.

There are nice people there and there are some who seem overly endowed with "entitlement." I like that beach because it's often calm and someday I hope to hit Honu Ohana's favorite snorkel spot . But I can't say it feels warm and fuzzy to the general public, not like Hapuna or A-bay.

And it is SMALL. It would be crazy if a majority of those condos' occupants and the hotel guests ever tried to use it at the same time. So be glad that most people have to walk 5-10 minutes or the people would be packed like sardines.

I really like the Mauna Lani but if you want to be at a large expanse of sandy beach that would be Waikoloa's Anaeho'omalu, Hapuna, or the Mauna Kea.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,569 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mauna Lani Condos

One of the nice things about Mauna Lani is that they are very open and sincere in public access--not like some unnamed place north of there!

We always feel good seeing local families picknicking, fishing, and spending the day on weekends, and a familiar sight is seeing local fishermen with nets or pose out on the rocks at dawn or dusk. (Note to visitors: Don't try to go out on those rocks yourself, especially if there are waves--those folks know what they are doing, have years of practice, and are probably wearing fisherman's tabis!)

Some Mauna Lani "guests" are getting a bit over-self-impressed, in my view, compared to visitors in the 90s. I am sorry that you heard such ugly talk, KK. The place is not like that and fortunately, most guests are not, either.

But the beach is only "tiny" compared to Hapuna or Mauna Kea...the boat house beach (mainly used by public access because it is the better beach for swimming and snorkeling, with grassy area for picnics) is ample for the uncrowded "crowd" it attracts. The great thing about ML is that despite the increase in rental condos, not all are occupied at the same time and the occupants are mazingly passive about going to the beach (as opposed to golf).

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,873 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mauna Lani Condos

yes, I agree with what you say, Honu Ohana. I should clarify that the talk I didn't care for wasn't from Mauna Lani guests; it was from the Beach Club area guests.

It's a good thing that the people buying into that area are more into golf than the beach -- and have pools, because I can't believe how many units they're building for the relatively small beaches at Beach Club and Pau'oa Bay at the Fairmont. And the 49 Black Sand development is much larger than I would have guessed! A lot of these units are yet to be built, much less occupied; at some point I fear these little beaches will be overwhelmed, that's all.

So go now!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,569 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mauna Lani Condos

I remained curious about who was advertising a "private beach" at teh beach club so I looked first at the Mauna Lani Resort site and then googled various condo rentals by agencies and owners.

Well. I am happy to say it does not appear to be Mauna Lani Resort. Several of the condo rentals mention "private pool and recreation areas" and that is true; each condo complex has a pool and bbq and such for those residents (hotel people cannnot use).

Several Fairways and other complexes ad sites mentioned "private beach club" and that is true in a sense but perhaps not in the sense someone expecting a country club might think--I do believe anyone can walk in and buy a beverage or food (I have and no one asked me who I was and they took my cash) but only "members" have signing privileges.

So I am thinking that people who expect the beach there to be "private" are misreading things or some rental site/owners have mis-stated. Even 49 Black Sand beach is public access. And I checked that site linked from the Mauna Lani site--it mentions a deluxe "private beach club" but private modifies "beach club" there.

One "culprit " I did find was a site for #28 at 49 Black Sand--the text does mention a "private black sand beach." Tsk, tsk....those renters may indeed be aggrieved when I show up to snorkel there in a little while....cuz the BEACH is not private and never was/can be. It used to be a county park. So maybe some rental sites are misleading.

But that is NOT Mauna Lani Resort per se, which I maintain has more aloha than most.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,873 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mauna Lani Condos

yep, the Mauna Lani Resort is very welcoming and I have absolutely no complaints about it. (the Mauna Kea gate security not so much aloha, but once inside the resort it's fine too).

The security guard I encountered en route to Black Sand Beach (NOT related to Mauna Lani, but the next beach down from the beach club), this guy was hyper-vigilant and very unpleasant. I guess he was doing his job, but there's a way to do that kind of job like a nice person and then there's being unncecessary. True that the beach was closed due to high surf -- so apparently that gave him the right to make the whole subdivision closed to access.

We didn't want to go to the beach. My son was working on the property adjacent to the beach and my DIL and I urgently needed get something from him and we had a sick baby with us who needed to go to the doctor ASAP, which we explained, but the dude just did not care. He acted like we were trying to con our way in. Honest, we don't look like thieves or vandals!

So my opinion of Black Sand Beach project is they are acting way too possessive considering as you say it was a county beach and it has public facilities. If the beach is closed, so what, I should still be able to go down to the public area.

Get answers to your questions about Waikoloa