We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner reservations - Christmas week

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner reservations - Christmas week

How far in advance does one need to make dinner reservations at prime spots during Christmas and New Years?

Thanks!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner reservations - Christmas week

The key isn't advance time, the key is whether you're a hotel guest and they'll give you a reservation -- at your hotel. Few local-owned restaurants serve on Christmas.

The hotels don't make the decision to offer slots to non-guests until MUCH closer to the date, same day if their occupancy is good.

One restaurant open on Christmas to one and all is Roy's, and they do serve a special menu. For that I would check at least two months out, but call them and find out when they open their book for Christmas.

The other nights during that period, the hotels may or may not take non-guest reservations. If we are in a slump, they will. I would not even start thinking about that stuff til November, October at the very soonest.

Christmas and New Year's, if you are at a hotel, do take advantage of that and eat in-house. (You don't say where you're staying.)

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner reservations - Christmas week

Thanks - we are staying at the Waikoloa Marriott. We are not so much looking for a "Christmas Dinner" as wondering how far in advance to make dinner reservations for the week at such a prime tourist time.

Thanks.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner reservations - Christmas week

Thanks!

Well, I was trying to explain that the hotels have most of the best restaurants (except for the Marriott), and from Christmas to New Year's they have had in the past a policy where they don't take "outside" reservations. So "advance" has nothing to do with because you can't get them until the hotels take a look at their occupancy and make a call.

As of July 2008, I have no idea how busy they'll be.

As for Christmas dinner, it is hard to get a table in any restaurant at all in your area if you don't reserve more than a month in advance. But they don't take reservations way far in advance. You have to contact the individual restaurant to find out what they're doing. It's all subject to change.

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
885 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner reservations - Christmas week

We will be at the Hilton on Christmas and we have decided to cook out! We will be going to the beach! Get some steaks and hang out all day. I was going to sign us up for the Brunch at the Hilton, but have decided against it. I think it is pretty cool to be on the beach in Hawaii at Christmas :o)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner reservations - Christmas week

Where are you planning to cook out? You know there are no fires or grills allowed on the beach, right? Right?

The pavilions have to be reserved, and they certainly will be.

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
885 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner reservations - Christmas week

hawaiiweb.com/Hawaii/html/beaches/hapuna_bea…

They have picnic areas, grills, etc. This is a fantastic beach!! You do not need to reserve the areas either!! Hope this helps.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner reservations - Christmas week

Hapuna is wonderful, and Christmas on the beach is wonderful too, most years I've seen it. In fact, we ate at the Hapuna Christmas Brunch this last year.

BUT - Hapuna is a BUSY public beach MUCH used by local families and I'm not sure you can count on having grills available. Not on a day like Christmas.

Is someone going to stake it out from the crack of dawn?

I know I wouldn't want to come between a local family and their need to grill ... I always defer to the locals when it comes to using stuff like that, if there is more demand than supply.

I don't know for sure, but you seem to be counting on it, and I wouldn't.

But maybe some of the other island residents can chip in with their opinion on that.

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
885 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner reservations - Christmas week

Actually, I did contact a real nice local from Kona and she was the one who recommended Hapuna Beach at Christmas. I have been to Hapuna when it is really crowded and never had an issue with the locals or even the tourists. Worst case, we go back to the resort and eat :o) Mahalo!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner reservations - Christmas week

I cetainly didn't mean there is an "issue" with anyone at Hapuna. I just meant there are surely a limited number of grills to go around -- and families that live here and do it as an annual tradition know the drill.

but as long as you're not concerned, it's all good.

(I wouldn't assume you can just go back to the hotel and eat unless you RSVP). The point is, Christmas dinners are 100% booked. It is very competitive getting a reservation on Christmas, with so many restaurants closed, and the hotels and condos at capacity, and add the residents who want to go out.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinner reservations - Christmas week

We stayed at the Waikoloa beach Resort area this past Christmas/ New Year's for a period of 2 weeks. We did however stay in a condo with a full kitchen The advantages of this were unmeasurable. We were able to cook in/Grill depending on the mood and what was fresh at the market.

We did eat out a fair bit as well. One place to recommend in the WBR area is Waikoloa Beach Grill. It is located at the clubhouse of the Beach Golf course. No views , but excellent food. They had special menus on Christmas Day and New Year's. Open for Lunch most every day. The two owner/ Chefs come from a wide range of previous positions, including coking for past presidents and Hyatt resorts in Hawaii. Really first notch!

You can review menus etc on their website.

www.wbgrill.com

Surprisingly, we did not find the area all that crazy busy at Christmas. We returned in February for 3 weeks and the Island was just as busy then if not more so.

I see you have reserved the Marriott Hotel, which will limit your dining options. As all meals will be out. The restaurants at the hotels are not particularly recommended and I would give them a pass. Overpriced and mediocre, aimed for the tourist dollar. Explore the Big Island and check out some of the local spots.

Enjoy, half the fun is the planning. You will love the Big Island.