We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction/Beautification Hilton Waikoloa Village

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
914 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Construction/Beautification Hilton Waikoloa Village

We are going to the Hilton Waikoloa Village Hotel for 7 days in November. We booked this trip a few months ago (all on points) and noticed recently there is a disclaimer about construction/beautification going on. Has anybody recently visited this resort, and what kind of construction/beautification is going on? Just want to be sure there are no problems. My husband is Diamond VIP HHonors, so we are automatically upgraded, but just to be on the safe side, need to make sure there aren't any trucks, major construction, if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance!

Aloha

55 days and counting to take off!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Construction/Beautification Hilton Waikoloa Village

it should not be major.... the grounds are so vast that and no trucks..... that all at kolea...... its a low key construction.

Doing replanting and such

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
914 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Construction/Beautification Hilton Waikoloa Village

That is kinda what I was thinking, but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the reply.

Aloha!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,194 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Construction/Beautification Hilton Waikoloa Village

You lucky dog! I love that place.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
914 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Construction/Beautification Hilton Waikoloa Village

Thank you! We have never been. I am glad to hear that you like it. Anything you like best? Anything you didn't like? Any help would be much appreciated!!

Aloha!! (love saying that!)

Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,194 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Construction/Beautification Hilton Waikoloa Village

Have you seen a layout of the resort? The resort is huge. Its made up of several buildings that surround a natural salt water lagoon protected from the ocean and offers (novice) snorkeling but you do see a variety of fish, eels, and turtles. Part of this lagoon is (I think they call it Dolphin Quest) the dolphin pool, where they teach you about dolphins up close and personal for a cost. I like just watching them. there is a monorail and boats to take you to your building. As you pass thru the lobby you come to a grand staircase, 30 40 feet wide that decends to nothing but the lagoon. Getting the picture, big with a lot going on. There is a spa with exercise classes that my wife enjoys. My favorite parts are the art, everwhere, small pieces, large pieces with a very asian flavor. My favorite I think is a life size carriage and horses in an obvious hurry. Another favorite is Budda Point and the hamocks near by, catch the sunset here or watch the stars at nightor whale watch if its their time.

There are several nice restaurants, chinese, Italian, and my favorite is (someone help me here) Provencal or something like that its not important, but what is : Sitting outside, the ocean a stone throw away, warm breeze blowing, sunsetting, or lamps burning, good wine good food, and oh yes wild cats that come out of bushes if you coax them. Ok I'm going on and on. Decent shopping very close a King's shops where they have a Roys but HD says isn't what it used to be to bad.

It's close to the airport and town so its easy to access them, do you have a car?, I suggest one. Don't be disalussioned driving out from the airport. You drive thru what I would decribe as a volcanic rock desert, but when you drive back into Waikoloa Village its everything you imagined.

The way the buildings are designed they have a lot of ocean views but some may be quite a ways back. Ok I'm going to take a break but if you have questions just ask.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
914 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Construction/Beautification Hilton Waikoloa Village

Yes - we did get a car because we are flying into Hilo and driving over since we are hoping to do the whole island.

Thanks so much for the information. I know it looks big, but we have 7 days here to find our way around.

Aloha and gracias!

Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,194 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Construction/Beautification Hilton Waikoloa Village

Yikes, Big Island is big island! Hilo is on opposite side. I've driven there from Waikoloa but I take a day there and back for site seeing. Depending on time of day you arrive, you may want to take helicopter tours of volcano because they are less expensive from Hilo than Kona coast.

I forgot to tell you if you are a walker there is a foot trail along the water from Hilton to Marriott. Don't try to run on it.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
914 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Construction/Beautification Hilton Waikoloa Village

Thanks for the tip on the trail. Love to walk. Did 8 miles in the Grand Tetons (last 2 miles were a killer).

Not sure about helicopter tour. My son is a little shy when it comes to things like that.

Have you done the Observatory on the Big Island at night?

Also, did you do a luau? I have looked into the Four Seasons Barbacue on Saturday nights on the beach. All you can eat for about $48 -$50.

Thanks again for the tips - down to 54 days!

Was able to book the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Honolulu for points the day before we leave! Aloha!!

Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,194 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Construction/Beautification Hilton Waikoloa Village

This is not a challenging trail, about a half mile one way, but right on the water with stoney path and lots of little trees for shade.

Luau: We went to one at the Marriott, but a rare storm forced it inside and off the beach. I think it lost something in the banquet room. They interpreted the history of the local dance.

The Observatory sounded cold and it seems like the rental agency wouldn't let us drive there, I can't remember exactly.

By the way Hilo can be a little cooler and sometimes rainy so dress appropriately, and because of elevation the volcano area can be colder.

That's what's cool about the Big Island in one single day the weather is different in diffent areas. One day near Parker Ranch we witnessed a rainbow that was right on top of us(high elevation).

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
914 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Construction/Beautification Hilton Waikoloa Village

That's what I have been reading about the temps. I am all about the change in weather.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it!

Aloha

Get answers to your questions about Waikoloa