We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to the Big Island in mid-November

vancouver
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to the Big Island in mid-November

We are planning a trip to the Big Island in mid-November with our 7 and 9 yo kids. The kids would love to play at nice sandy beach and snorkel some. The adults would love to see the Volcano National park (with the kids, of course) and see the lava flow. Where is the best area to stay for the 6 nights we are there, so we don't have to spend too much time driving around. We will have a rental car. Should we go to the Volcano site and look around ourselves, or join one of the local tours? Our friend mentioned about going up some summit to watch sunrise/sunset? Does anyone know if the royalhawaii.com website is reliable because they provide hotel bookings that include rental car? Any feedback would be very helpful because we have never been to the Big Island. Thank you very much.

New York
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to the Big Island in mid-November

If you are interested in beach time I would stay in the Waikola area. You can get to both Hapuna Prince and Mauna Kea beach (need to get there early if not staying since they have limited parking)

For snorkeling with a 7yo and 9yo you may want to check out a chartered tour with Fairwinds (BBQ, slides, calm waters)

I would do the volcano by yourself unless you are planning a helicopter tour. The drive to the volcano is long 2-3 hours so you may want to stay one night on the volcano side if you want to spend some time there exploring.

Mauna Kea summit is what your friend is referring to, as far as I know though you have to be 16 to go to the top with a tour due to altititude.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to the Big Island in mid-November

Yep Waikola area is best for best beach time... keeping in mind the sun will be going down earlier than you think about 5:30pm so get your kids out of bed early to maximize the daylight hours. Also surf is typically more calm in the morning hours. Day trip to Volcano a very long day trip so not recommended with kids unless you extend your stay a couple of days and maybe stay down there for a couple of nighs.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to the Big Island in mid-November

Hi there, I am from Vancouver also. Did you get a decent airfare to Kona? Who did you book with? I am trying to find airfare for around the same time.

Carol

vancouver
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to the Big Island in mid-November

We are actually flying with Alaska Airline on vouchers, sorry I don't know which airline would have a good deal. Did you check with expedia or fly.com, the discount websites?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to the Big Island in mid-November

I will try that again...it sure is not cheap

Thank you

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to the Big Island in mid-November

Had a lot of luck with pleasant holidays. You must book atleast a one night hotel stay, but that depends on where you are coming from. They were much cheaper for us.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to the Big Island in mid-November

Thank you.. more searching to do.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to the Big Island in mid-November

Yes you can do a day trip to VNP, it will be a long day since it is about a 2 1/2 hour drive each way, but well worth it. When my children were that age I just brought the pillows along in the back seat. With only 6 nights on island I would rather have a long day than change locations. A tour would be nice but you can self tour if you do your homework. Volcano National Park

http://www.nps.gov/havo

Where you thinking about a hotel or condo?

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to the Big Island in mid-November

I was able to get great package prices with pleasant holidays and AMX.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to the Big Island in mid-November

How much is the Helicopter tour may I ask?

Thank you