We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta Ray Snorkel - Worth it?

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
81 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Manta Ray Snorkel - Worth it?

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Big Island in mid-October, and I've been looking for things to do. The trip is actually business for him, so we won't have a lot of time to cruise around and do tons of touring around the island, but was thinking about the night, manta ray snorkeling trips I've seen advertised. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these? Just wondering if it is worth a try.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel - Worth it?

aloha Shards :)

I have NOT done the manta ray night dive, but my friends did. We were vacationing at the same time and I am a water wimp so didn't do the night dive. They loved it! My friend got a little woozey at first, but as soon as she got in the water, she felt better. They said it was a great experience to see the rays swimming underneath and above them.

jc

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,367 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel - Worth it?

Worth it? YES!!!!!! It was one of the most incredible things I've ever done, even though I got a bit seasick in the water. (I was over-tired, which always makes me get a bit woozy.) We went with Sea Paradise to just outside the Keauhou harbor, not too far from shore. There were only about 6-7 guests.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel - Worth it?

Yes it's definitely worth it. We also did the Sea Paradise trip. Love the fact it was a very short boat trip. Scratch one off the bucket list.

Huron, Ohio
Level Contributor
538 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel - Worth it?

YES!! We did it a few nights ago with Fairwind cruises.. I loved it and am so happy I didn't let me nerves scare me out of it.. they gave us wetsuits to wear and after we got out, they had hot chocolate and soup for us to warm us up... we are so glad we did it and got some incredible pictures

Redding, California
Level Contributor
454 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel - Worth it?

Do it, Do it, Do it! One of the coolest things we have ever done! We used Kona Honu Divers....don't know if they are still operating or not, but it was awesome!

Virginia
Level Contributor
81 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel - Worth it?

I guess I should have been more specific: do you think doing the SNORKEL trip is worth it? If I were a certified scuba diver, I wouldn't question it one bit, but just wonder if snorkelers can see much, considering all the bubbles that rise from divers on the bottom.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,367 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel - Worth it?

Sea Paradise will take both snorkelers and divers. I snorkeled and had no issues with the diver's bubbles.

TN
Level Contributor
499 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel - Worth it?

I did the snorkel trip a couple years ago and it was FANTASTIC! We got to see several mantas swimming just beneath us. I thought it was definitely worth it.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel - Worth it?

Even if I was a diver I would not dive on one of these trips. For a couple of reasons. First the divers are down on the bottom and I'm sure some if not all are stepping on or bumping rocks and coral. Second is the fact the divers pretty much always have to look up and I know my neck could not take that kind of neck craning for that long. Snorkeling you pretty much just lie there on the surface and look down. Several here have stated that the Manta's get closer to the divers. I'm here to say that's just not true. I had Manta's within 18" of me on many occasions and a few times closer. They were so close that the pressure of the water between us actually pushed me up out of the water a bit. There is a video I took on my profile. Not spectacular but you can see how close they were and several times one of them blotted out the whole screen.

Redding, California
Level Contributor
454 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel - Worth it?

We did the snorkel too, and they were up front and center! In fact, one actually bumped into my husband

during one of its sweeping turns.