We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo or Hotel??

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Condo or Hotel??

Can I have some of your thoughts of what I should do? Do I rent a place or stay in a hotel for 8 days on the Big Island? It would be myself and my 8 year old.

Any suggestions

Carol

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,668 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo or Hotel??

Condo lets you fix meals, have more room, works out cheaper.

Mauna Lani and Waikoloa resorts have condos for cheap now due to recession and overbuilding. Check Abbey Vacation rentals for ideas, then you can google around to find others.

Downside is no ocean view from the inexpensive ones there.

You can get a bargain on condos in Kailua-Kona on the waterfront, but no beach close by in most cases.

Hapuna Prince and Waikoloa Marriott are on beaches and deals can be had but no kitchens.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo or Hotel??

I would go condo.. just to have more room and a kitchen to use.. however I encourage you not to cook.. just prep food.. so you have time off as well.. I just think the extra room in a condo and having a real frig would be nice.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
1,039 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo or Hotel??

I prefer a condo for the prices out there you can't beat it. Check www.vrbo.com for rental directly from an owner. Some will negoitiate prices because of the economy. Look under Waikoloa Beach Resorts the Fairway Villas are very nice for a very reasonable price. It's a nice location in a great area.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo or Hotel??

Only you can decide. You have more room + kitchen when you rent a condo, but if you just don't want to worry about anything at all and want service than the condo is the better solution.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo or Hotel??

Thank you very much for you advice... just have to find a decent airfare to get there.

6. Re: Condo or Hotel??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2010, 06:19