We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairmont of Marriott?

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fairmont of Marriott?

Which hotel would be more suitable for an 8 year old? Which has the better beach and pool? Would only be staying for a couple of days.

Thank you

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairmont of Marriott?

Define "better beach."

Marriott has a BIGGER beach. Lots of folks use ii. Snorkeling is iffy.

Fairmont has a small beach. But is in my opinion a better location.

Kid friendly I have no idea there sure seem to be a lot of them at all the hotels.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairmont of Marriott?

What is the best beach for snorkeling in your opinion? Why do you say the Fairmont is a better location? When looking at the Fairmont website, its looks pretty stuffy for kids.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairmont of Marriott?

Better beach to me would mean. White sand and caribbean blue water. No big rocks all over the place. Nice for swimming. Kua Bay is sounding like it might be like that. I am just concerned if I stay at Royal Kona I will be driving everyday to that. It sounds like it might even be nice than Hapuna?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairmont of Marriott?

Kua has whitesand that sometimes gets washed away in winter storms. It has rocks and can have a wicked shore break. Hapuna can have a wicked shore break. A-Bay usually does not.

By "better location" I mean that I think the Kalahuipuaa area is more lovely and has more interesting things than Waikoloa Resort. By walk or free shuttle ride, Kalahuipuaa has Mauna Lani fish ponds, the excellent reef there at the boat house beach

…hawaiiinformation.com/WebPhotos/3/39/203139…

albeit a bit challenging for the novice, is walking distance to the Puako petroglyphs, etc.

I'm old, what do I know about "stuffy." There always are lots of happy sounding kids at all the resorts.

For the closest thing to the "white sand" you describe, that is Mauna Kea beach. Or Hapuna. Why Hapuna is not a fave of mine? The shore break, long trek from the parking lot, disgusting restrooms,

California
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairmont of Marriott?

If your looking for the best hotel for kids, it would have to be the Hilton.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fairmont of Marriott?

When are you coming again QUESTVancouver? I thought you were doing Royal Kona Resort?

The drive to Kua from RKR is short, maybe 15 minutes and it is a lovely and easy drive. Between Fairmont and Marriott I would choose Marriott.. if I had a child and was staying at the Marriott I would consider the Hilton..

I have noticed you are going back and forth between Waikoloa and Kailua-Kona.. Hotels and condos..poor you... Honestly there is no one right answer for you.. it is all a matter of experiences, you are going to have a great experience no matter which you choose. Where you choose to stay will effect your visit but not in a negative or positive way, you will just get to know that area better than the other areas. It will become your neighborhood for a week or so, which is a good thing!

So the overall answer is I think all of them are suitable for children (Fairmont, Marriott and Royal Kona Resort), I do think of the Hilton as being more suitable in the sense that they have the pools and there will be more children there. My neighborhood is Kailua-Kona and so my choice would be Royal Kona Resort because I like being able to walk into town and I do not mind a short drive to a beach and an even shorter drive to Kahalu'u Beach Park which is perfect for younger and new snorkelers.

7. Re: Fairmont of Marriott?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2010, 07:25