We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Grand Vacations: Kings Land v. Kohala Suites

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Grand Vacations: Kings Land v. Kohala Suites

I'm planning my honeymoon using our HGV points and we want to spend 4 nights at one of the HGV locations in Waikoloa. I'm having a hard time deciding which one... the new Kings Land, the on-site suites at Hilton Waikoloa Village or the Bay Club.

Anyone have a preference? Kings Land looks beautiful, but I can't figure out exactly where it's located on a map! Is it far from A-bay? How about from the Hilton W. Village Resort?

The HGV at the Hilton W. Village... can I get a room in the Lagoon Tower? That seems to be the most conveniently located to the parking and pools.

And what about the Bay Club? I've heard everything from the beach being in walking distance to the place being overrun with feral cats.

Any input would be appreciated... thanks!

California
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Grand Vacations: Kings Land v. Kohala Suites

That's funny you mention feral cats, The Hilton (hotel) has hundreds of feral cats on there property. When you drive into the parking lot at night you see dozens and dozens of them looking for handouts.

1. Never stayed at Kings Land but it's a huge property just up the road from the Hilton Hotel, a 5 min drive to A beach.

2. Stayed at the Bay Club a few years ago and enjoyed it. It's a short walk to the beach.

3. If it's a hotel room you want I would go for the lagoon tower at the Hilton. We stayed there in December. Your right about it being a closer to parking and the pools.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Grand Vacations: Kings Land v. Kohala Suites

Where exactly are the HGV at Waikoloa Beach Resort... are they different buildings than the Hilton Waikoloa Village? We need to stay at one of the timeshares.

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
879 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Grand Vacations: Kings Land v. Kohala Suites

First off - cats - don't worry about the cats. We have stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa Resort 4 times in the past 5 years and have seen maybe 1 or 2 cats at most.

HGV - http://tinyurl.com/yj6k3fl

This is next to the Hilton Waikoloa. The link explains the vacation club. We stay at the resort because we use HHonors points. There are shuttles that will take guests from the HGV to the Resort as well as Queens and Kings Shops. I have not seen the Kohala Suites so I cannot comment.

Whatever you choose, it will be great! It is Hawaii!! Aloha!

California
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Grand Vacations: Kings Land v. Kohala Suites

Just for fun here's a recent parking lot picture at the Hilton. And this is just a few of them!

http://imgur.com/T9qFx.jpg

Edited: 19 February 2010, 19:47
Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Grand Vacations: Kings Land v. Kohala Suites

Hilton is partnering with ADVOCATS in regards to the feral cats. They have been trapped, neutered/spayed and re-released on the property. They are being fed by volunteers.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
282 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Grand Vacations: Kings Land v. Kohala Suites

The Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort is the Hotel. You can use Hilton Honors points to stay there but can't trade in using your timeshare points. The HHV Hotel is right on the shoreline. The timeshare condos are a little up the road away from the shoreline. There is a shuttle bus that comes every 30 minutes that will take you to the HHV Hotel or A-Bay, or the shopping centers. There is free parking at the timeshares if you have a car.

The Bay Club is closest to the HHV Hotel. I believe the Bay Club is currently being refurbished so you might want to pick either Waikoloa Suites or Kings Land. Both are very nice. Kings Land is even more luxuriously appointed than Waikoloa Suites. There are some reviews of both the HGV Waikoloa Suites and Kings Land on this forum. However, Trip advisor has placed the reviews under the wrong heading in some cases. Some of the HHV hotel reviews are under the HGVC Waikoloa heading and some of the Kings Land reviews are under the HGVC Waikoloa heading.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Grand Vacations: Kings Land v. Kohala Suites

gone2bigsur: Thanks for the info! I have also noticed that some of the reviews are mixed up/under the wrong heading, and that is part of my general confusion, haha. It's making it hard to tell the difference between the two. I know Kings Land is newer... was supposed to finish up construction by the end of 2009. Does anyone know if it's completed? But aside from that, I'm having a hard time figuring out the difference.

Edited: 19 February 2010, 21:20
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Grand Vacations: Kings Land v. Kohala Suites

Kings Land construction is still on-going, but only on the furthest buildings (those mauka - closest to the highway). The rest of the complex is fully open. I think the biggest difference is that Kings Land gets to use HWV facilities (pools) and Bay Club does not - but you should probably confirm (that's just my understanding). Kings Lands buildings are actually pretty ugly in my opinion - they look like cheap motels - but that shouldn't impact your stay.

Regarding walking distance - I'd say neither is really walking distance to A-Bay, especially not Kings Land - but it's an easy couple minute drive. Both are walking distance to the lagoon at the Hilton, but Bay Club is closer.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Grand Vacations: Kings Land v. Kohala Suites

FYI, just returned from our bi-annual two weeks at the Bay Club. Really enjoyed it, as usual, and find the location and size of the units "grand" as compared to a hotel room, which is basically what Hilton Waikoloa, Kingsland, and Kohala offers.

Also, an important point: The Bay Club renovation project starts in May 2010, and will take approx. a year to complete. They are starting with building 10, and then going to building 1,2,3, etc. in that order. I really wouldn't worry much about noise or disruption during this process. I'm sure that the reservation people will be putting everyone well away from the building being renovated if possible. Shouldn't be a problem unless they're really filled to near capacity. Also, keep in mind that all the mods are interior in nature, and it's not like they're going to re-roof or tear up the exterior grounds.

Hope that helps in making your decision. If you want room(s) and a huge balcony that nothing else in the area provides, stay at the Bay Club. Although the interiors are getting a bit dated, they're large and clean, and the Bay Club is in a great location.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,962 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton Grand Vacations: Kings Land v. Kohala Suites

crazy_betty,

Of the properties you mention...I would select the fabulous new King's Land. It is quite upscale...grounds and units Sort of a plantation look to it. It is located at the far end of Waikoloa beach Dr.....so no issues with noise or feral cats at all ( Another reason not to take a ground floor unit...overhead thunder and cats) It is located right across the street from King's grille.which we find to be one of the best priced casual spots for Breakfast and Lunch in WBR .

Walking throughout the Waikoloa Beach Resort area is pleasant...yet many spots are a short car ride away.

In our experience on Island..when construction starts...it continues on Island time meaning....Much , much longer to complete than anticipated. Not sure what month your visit is taking place, but if it is outside the busy summer months when those properties are running full tilt....you should have some wiggle room . So you might want to avoid the older Bay Club during those months.....

So a vote for King's Land .