We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

last minute itinerary check pls

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
101 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
last minute itinerary check pls

we're (finally) heading for BI in the morning and will be leaving on Sunday. There will be 3 toddlers (4, 2, and 1) and 4 adults total. I've got some stuff planned for the week. Our biggest limitation is obviously the kids, with the naptime and such. Hopefully I've hit all the must-see/must-do stuff that are kid-friendly. Love to hear from all of you..

Monday after arrival: A.Bay, Waikoloa Village for groceries

Tues/Wed AM Hapuna/Mauna Kea/Spencer Bch.

Thursday: Kona-Kelakekua Bay, Coffee Farm Tour (Greenwell?), Place of Refuge

Friday: Waimea/Kawaihae, Luau at Kona Village Resort

Saturday: Hamakua Coast, Akaka Falls/Rainbow Falls, Hilo's Farmer market

Where to grab a quick bite:

Kohala: Cafe Pesto, Merriman's Market Cafe

Kona: Big Island Grill, PIne Tree Cafe, Don the Beach Comber

Hilo: The Seaside Rest/Aqua Farm

Castro Valley...
Level Contributor
85 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: last minute itinerary check pls

HI! We leave for the BI in October and have a very similar itinerary. Sounds good to me, let us know how it goes!

Kennett Square...
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: last minute itinerary check pls

Loved the Kona Village Resort luau! I like that you have allowed three days for the beaches. I really liked Beach 69, which is near Hapuna. Make sure the kids have water shoes if you go ... some of the trees drop thorns. Sorry you will miss Volcano, but you can't hit everything in a week! What are your plans in Waimea/Kawaihae? Just curious.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
101 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: last minute itinerary check pls

MI-travel-mom-Just sightseeing/exploring the towns and hopefully some hiking-since we may be able to leave our kids with the other people in the group for a few hours on friday.

Is it really crazy to plan so many things on the (2) day trips to Kona/Hilo?? I hope the kids will nap in the car between stops, otherwise we really only have a 2-3 hour window in the mornings.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: last minute itinerary check pls

Mauna Lani shops have a 4 D movie ride, I believe the Sponge Bob movie would be appropriate for this age group.

Kennett Square...
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: last minute itinerary check pls

I don't think you overplanned anything. You also left the day trips for the end of the week, when you and the kids will be less affected by jet lag. Unlike Volcano National Park, all of the stops you list are shorter ones with scenery in between. Closer to Hilo along the Hamakua Coast is the 4-mile Onomea Scenic Drive ... be sure to catch that as well! I'd say just to go with the flow and if you see signs that the kids have reached their limits, turn around and head back to the hotel. Another shorter "drive tour" is north on 270 through North Kohala, through the cute town of Hawi and other artsy towns, ending at the Pololu Valley overlook. The scenery gets more lush as you go north. We did that and then stopped at Keokea Park for a picnic.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: last minute itinerary check pls

Don't the kids would enjoy it, but we loved the Greenwell coffee tasting and tour (and we don't even drink coffee!) We just got back yesterday, BTW.

7. Re: last minute itinerary check pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2011, 05:17