We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend helicopter company and a place to overnight in...

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Topic
Recommend helicopter company and a place to overnight in...

I am interested in pricing both of these activities as we only have 3 days to spare and want to see as much as we can without exhausting ourselves. Who would you book a helicopter tour with, and where would you overnight in Volcano while still keeping all of our crap at the hotel we have booked.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend helicopter company and a place to overnight in...

the best price is going to be Paradise Helos

The most expensive is Blue Hawaiian. prices range from 340 to 475 for the same exact flight path on a 2 hour circle island tour. Go with the 2 hour tour not the volcano 45 min ride ... it will cost you almost 200 for that flight and for a littel more you get twice a much........

Then then there is Big Island Air.... which does a tour the equal or better of the helos for under about 260.

All air tours are regulated with defined altitude, routes and like regulations... noone is going to make an exception and loose his licence.

One exception is Paradise helos that does the circle island tour and then lands at a 400 ft waterfall on the rugged Kohala mt. coast..... does a picknick and swim for over an hour and a half.............pretty cool

In volcano the top room and chow is Kiluea Lodge

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
93 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend helicopter company and a place to overnight in...

Kilauea Lodge is good, and, as Hawaiiandan says, is the ONLY place to eat dinner. Other nice lodgings are the Chalet Kilauea - they have a number of different types of accomodations, and Carson's Volcano Cottages.

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend helicopter company and a place to overnight in...

You might try staying at the Volcano TeaPot Cottage--lots of comments on that place in this forum--and having dinner at the Kiluea Lodge. They have lots of exotic meats--ostrich, antelope, etc., which isn't too great for vegetarians. (The eggplant wasn't too great, IMO, so we ate at the Thai place nearby and it was fabulous). The TeaPot Cottage is the most private, comfortable, and romantic accommodations we have ever had on the Big Island, and we will definitely go back there, every trip we make.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,078 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend helicopter company and a place to overnight in...

Kilauea Lodge is great. If you want to go out to see live lava after dark they'll lend you flashlights.

We also liked Lokahi Lodge (part of Chalet Kilauea) a lot. Not as upscales ad KL but very nice and very friendly. We loved the family-style seating at breakfast.

KL has great food, sort of Continental cuisine, I think. As I recall it's also fairly pricy. If you like Thai food, Thai Thai is excellent.

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend helicopter company and a place to overnight in...

Considering that you (and myself) will already have a place to stay on the other side, i'm wondering if it is worth staying the night? Is there really that much to see at the park? Could the whole thing be skipped?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,078 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend helicopter company and a place to overnight in...

Could HVNP be skipped? Depends on your interests. For me it's one of the highlights of the Big Island.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend helicopter company and a place to overnight in...

DO NOT SKIP VNP!!! It is an awesome experience and definately worth an overnight if you are really wanting to see the lava at night and explore during the day.

As for a helicopter tour we took the Feel the Heat tour with Tropical Helicopters and LOVED it!!! It was awesome with the doors off we could actually feel the heat from the volcano. A highlight of our trip!