We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Waikoloa Village vs. Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vac.

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Parker, CO
7 posts
Save Topic
Hilton Waikoloa Village vs. Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vac.

My husdand, 14 yr old son and myself have booked a trip to the Big Island in October. We like that idea of having nice swimming pools with slides, so we are debating between the Hilton Hotel or Kings' Land condo. Has anyone stayed at both places or seen both places that can give me an idea of which they liked best? Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Waikoloa Village vs. Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vac.

This has been a most popular question here on the forum. A forum search typing in Kingsland vs Hilton will yield many threads with a ton of feedback for you.

Here is one for example

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60608-i629-k34224…

Edited: 23 September 2011, 18:44
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Waikoloa Village vs. Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vac.

There are pros and cons to both properties. I posted a review of HWV as we stayed there for a few days earlier this year. I have always liked the HWV, but there are some issues with staying at the property. Getting around is a big concern.

When my children were younger we would stay at condos or time share style properties, but they usually don't offer the same services. It depends if you want hotel services or if you want time share facilities.

I like having a maid clean the room daily providing clean towels as needed and freshening up the place. I also like having turn down service at night after taking afternoon showers from being out all day playing. I also like having a concierge who can manage dinner reservations for us (King's Land may have that, don't know for sure). My wife and kids enjoy having room service now and then and many time share places don't offer that. When the children were younger we enjoyed the kitchen in the room, but now that they are 9 and 15 we prefer the full service of a hotel.

Take time to get all the input you need and then it ultimately comes down to whether you are hotel people or condo people.

Good luck. I don't think you can go wrong with either place as being in Hawaii and paradise will be fun at either property.

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
879 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Waikoloa Village vs. Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vac.

We have stayed at both as well. I really loved the 2 bedroom/2 bath condo at the Kings Land, but hated that the location is in the lava field not near the ocean and nothing around it. My 17 yrs old son missed staying at the HWV because there is a ton of stuff for kids to do, i.e., the lagoon, movies at the pool, the dolphins, access to the beach next to the Marriott. They do have transportation to and from the shopping centers as well as to the HWV for $1.00 - it may be free from KLV.

The pools are great at both locations (none are heated), but that makes no difference to me :o)

HWV - rooms are smaller (hotel like), daily maid service. Getting around - I personally have no problem with the layout. I LOVE to walk around the lagoon and I also enjoy the art and the wildlife. I love riding the boats as well as the tram.

KLV - 2bed/2bath condo, kitchen, washer/dryer BIG plus since we dive. VERY nice!

You will really like either place - It is Hawaii!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Waikoloa Village vs. Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vac.

It depends on what you want from your accomodations.

HWV property is wonderful. So much to see and do and staying there would be convenient for taking advantage of what they have to offer.

Some considerations:

Do you plan on spending most of your time at the resort or do you plan on doing a lot of sightseeing around the island? Not sure how easy it is to get your car from HWV (but I do know getting to the self parking lot is a hike, depending on where your room is) but Kings land parking is convenient - you can park right outside your unit and it's free!

As far as maid service is concerned, if your stay at Kings land is at least a week, you will get one cleaning. You can get clean towels and linens anytime...just call housekeeping and they will bring it. You can also call them anytime to pick up your trash. Nice to have that washer and dryer too.

Kings land guests also have access to the HWV pool and have room charging privileges (in case you want to rent that SUP board at the lagoon!). There's a free hourly shuttle that takes you to the shopping areas & the HWV.

Unlike HWV, Kings land can be kind of a dead place. The public spaces (including the pool) isn't crowded...it seems everyone just stays in their unit. It doesn't have that "festive" resort atmosphere. So...if your teenage son wants to do some girl watching at the pool, he's out of luck here.

Whatever you chose, you will have a good time! It's a win-win decision.

Orange, California
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Waikoloa Village vs. Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vac.

Just got back this morning.

We stayed at the KingsLand 2b/2B condo for two nights and then the Hilton WV for three nights. We have a 4 year old and a 7 year old. The KingsLand is a ver ver very nice Condo. We DID get maid service Every day! But right now the place has very little occupancy..so your son may be bored. The slides are nice..I actually thought nicer than WV and the water is warmer. The WV has the saltwater lagoon. We pushed a stroller around and got a room in the Ocean Tower which is at the exact oppposite end of the property from the self parking lot. I did not think this was a big deal but after two days...it IS A BIG deal! Their boats were supposed to be running last week and they are still out for maintenance for two more weeks...but they did add another tram. According to the front desk at the Hilton..they " really dont have a slow season, due to all their convention bookings". And you get to pay resort prices...$12.00 for a blue hawaiian...

They have

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Waikoloa Village vs. Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vac.

WE checked out both places fully! HWV wins hands down. Our 10 year old loved it. It's on the ocean the views are gorgeous. There are tons of activities and dolphins. He snorkeled, paddle boarded, kyaked all right on property. We saw turtles, and fish and even an eel. There's a boat that travels around the property to take you to shopping and restaurants and a little train like in Disney world. There's waiters bringing you mixed drinks poolside, there's gorgeous grounds and tons of pools. Tons and tons of things to do. Gorgeous, amazing art spread around, phenominal sunsets!

Even if I had to stay in large hotel room versus a two bedroom condo, I would probably go for HWV. We loved it.

The convenience of rolling out of bed into paradise is just amazing.

Kings Land is gorgeous the units are pristine and shiny and tiny. The pool area is really nice, but it's nothing like the scale of the Hilton, not even close. You will need your car everywhere you go accept the pool. That area has a bus system, but car is the convenient travel choice. It's not on the water there aren't hundreds of activities. You can pay to spend a day at the Hilton Pool, I think 30 per person, if they have room.

HWV hands down is my vote! If you have kids it's a no brainer.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Waikoloa Village vs. Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vac.

Just to clarify what kisswells said...

Kings land guests have FREE access to the HWV pool area and also have room signing privileges. That means the activities you do at HWV can be charged to your Kings land room. Don't confuse Kings land with the other HGVC properties (Kohala/Waikoloa Resort & Bay Club) which DO NOT have access to HWV ammenities.

Also, the units are not tiny. They are large and roomy. If you want tiny HGVC units, check out the new Grand Waikikian at HHV. That's tiny.

Kings land is a premium HGVC property (like the Grand Waikikian) and when originally planned, was to have daily maid service. Other cheaper HGVC properties (like Kohala, Bay Club, and the Lagoon Tower at HHV) do not have daily service. Perhaps they have finally started what they have promised.

Kings land also has free WIFI (if you are addicted to the internet) and free parking. HWV charges you for them.

I think your son would enjoy HWV more than KL. More people and activities. I just thought I should clarify for others who may be lurking on this thread. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to vacations but I think it's important to have the facts right.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Waikoloa Village vs. Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vac.

It seems to me from most of the comments here (Thanks to Kiwibird for the accurate info)....that you couldn't go wrong with a King's land stay for the extra room, kitchen, laundry facilities..etc Then use the FREE access to the Hilton pools and grounds whenever you wanted.

It was alluded to in that other thread about some free parking for KL guests at the HIlton(Hilton guests don't even get that) You would avoid the outrageous nickel and dime charges of the Hilton...but still enjoy the amenities while having a brand new spacious accommodation at King's Land. It' like you are staying at both places.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Waikoloa Village vs. Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vac.

We have stayed at KL on several occasions (we are HGVC owners) and chose it over the other HGVC properties mainly because of the HWV access. We like to hop in the car and go sightseeing around the island during the day so it's important to us to have easy access to the car. On a five night trip, we may hit the HWV pool and lagoon twice. The KL pool is large enough for us..and at night I can have the hot tub all to myself..sigh...oh, and if it's important to you, the pools are saline so no chemical smells in you hair and bathing suit. There is also an adult only pool for folks who want to get away from the kiddies.

Forgot to mention KL guests get free parking at HWV.

I have a friend who might join us on our next trip to Hawaii. Her idea of a vacation is restaurants, spa, pool/beach, room service, etc. I would not recommend KL for her and suggested HWV for her family. I don't mind light cooking (toasted sweet bread from Punalu'u Bake Shop & Kona coffee for breakfast..throw a ribeye from Costco on the BBQ for dinner) and spending a minute to make my bed.

The view isn't great at KL but I've had worse in Waikiki. At least it doesn't overlook a delivery area or busy street. The view is of a golf course (and occasional wild goats that roam there) and lava rocks (we collect bits of olivine so we like the lava rocks). The HWV has awesome views as it is ocean front and the grounds are beautiful.

Good luck in your decision and have a great time!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton Waikoloa Village vs. Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vac.

Oops..my mistake..

HGVC Waikoloa Resort (Kohala) also has access to HWV pools. There was a time a few years ago when there was no pool access but now it looks like they have renewed their contract with HWV.

Over the last few years it's been very confusing since the rules kept changing. Things like whether Bay Club guest have access to Kohala pools, or non KL HGVC guest have accesss to KL pools, one day passes vs. total access, etc. What appliess today may not apply next year.