We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Dining in Waikoloa?

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sandusky
Level Contributor
52 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Dining in Waikoloa?

I looked at restaurants in Waikoloa on TA but they weren't plentiful. Can anyone recommend some nice places for local cuisine, perferably beach dining/ocean view. We are staying at the Marriott and will have a car a few days but don't want to drive too far. Not so concerned about prices as the quality and location. THANKS!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,473 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Dining in Waikoloa?

There are tons of restaurants in Waikoloa Beach area. Were you maybe looking at Waikoloa Village? That's a completely different place.

Waikoloa Beach is a large touristy resort area with two shopping malls, the King's and Queen's shops. There are lots of restaurants in both, all different types and budgets, from chain (Romano's Macaroni Grill) to good Japanese (Sansei), to upscale (Roy's), and various options in between. In addition about a 5 minute drive away are the Shops at the Mauna Lani which has Tommy Bahamas, excellent Japanese at Monstera, Ruth's Chris. Also Just Tacos is opening there if it hasn't already. The resort hotels also have their restaurants, mostly expensive oceanfront, including Brown's at the Fairmont, the Canoe House at the Mauna Lani, Napua at the Mauna Lani, Manta and Monette's at the Mauna Kea, and Coast Grille at the Hapuna Prince, all a 10-15 minute drive from Waikoloa Beach.

Edited: 04 January 2012, 03:16
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Dining in Waikoloa?

Wow! If you don't to drive to far, you are on the wrong island! But there are a few places, at a price. KPC is next door to the Marriott at the Hilton. Delicious food and great service. You can even walk there. Other resorts about 10 - 15 minutes away have fine dining places, such as the Mauna Kea.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Dining in Waikoloa?

>>> will have a car a few days <<<<

????

I wouldn't be without a vehicle on the Big island for more than a minute or two...

Of all the places worldwide one can travel and be without a car....the Big island is definitely NOT one of them!

Staying at the Marriott will offer some dining options in fairly close proximity ( Nothing from what you describe however) No Local or beach dining cuisine in WBR. The Big Island is a totally different scene...from the other Hawaiian Islands (A good thing)

Check out some of the reviews on konaweb.com for some "local fare"

http://www.konaweb.com/restaurant/index.cgi

Kamuela Provision Company(KPC) at the Hilton while Oceanfront was tacking on an additional $50 for the privilege of reserving a table with a view! (Not worth it IMO)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,473 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Dining in Waikoloa?

I kind of missed the "local cuisine" part of your post. If you mean fish, Monstera and Sansei mentioned above are good. Roy's is good, upscale island fusion. For the most part, however, you're staying in a very touristy resort area and the restaurants there cater to that demographic.

Kamuela Provision Company is utterly forgettable and way overpriced, IMO. Pretty much any of the other resort restaurants are better.

Yes, you should have a car the entire time.

Sandusky
Level Contributor
52 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Dining in Waikoloa?

SheaG - thank you for so many suggestions. We are staying at the Waikoloa Marriott and the choices there are not plentiful! We won't want to do the chain restaurants because we have them here, so I will check out the resort restaurants you mentioned.

scorchestra - We'll drive some distance, but being unfamiliar with the island, we just don't want to drive more than 45 min./hour, especially at night. Plus, we don't want to drink and drive. KPC, what's that?

Thanks!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Dining in Waikoloa?

Kpc is the Kamuela Provision Company. There is an oceanfront walkway connecting the Marriott and Hilton. It is a beautiful walk. We loved the food there.

You will have the Kings and Queens maker place close by. One might we bought a pizza for $15 and ate it oceanfront. Enjoy your stay.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,374 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Dining in Waikoloa?

Well, you are staying in an area where chain restaurants are an option loved by many locals, as a relief from the high prices of the resorts.

A secret -- locals love chain restaurants and it is tourists who disdain them. The only oceanfront dining is reserved to extremely high priced resort venues. Locals also don't care about ocean views.

Just trying to help you get why what you want does not exist here.

The websites for Wailoloa Beach Resort and Shops at Mauna Lani list all the dining options outside the hotels (and WBR includes the hotels). There is also the Mauna Kea Resort in easy range, and Kawaihae Harbor with Cafe Pesto, Blue Dragon, Upstairs Seafood Bar, and Kohala Burger.

Anything else is going to be 45 minutes, and you are right, you don't want to drink and drive ... I would say, not even on the highway between the resorts. Having followed the rental cars of a few inebriated patrons between Kawaihae and Mauna Kea Resort ... it is all of a five minute drive, but they came close to killing people during that time ... they should have dined in the resort if they wanted to indulge.

(I like to drink with dinner, it's the driving part I'm down on.)

So good for you.

Sandusky
Level Contributor
52 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Dining in Waikoloa?

Wanderlust for 2- THANKS! As also mentioned by SheaG, will try to avoid KPC if we can.

As far as the car, it seemed kind of silly for us to have rental car for the 6 days we'll be there. 1/2 of the time we just want to relax/beach it, and 2 days we have excursions planned and they pick us up at the hotel. Hmm, may have to rethink the rental car thing though.

Thanks again!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Dining in Waikoloa?

Oh Gee Tracy123...... Don't second guess yourselves about the car..... get one for the WHOLE time. You will wonder what were you thinking.!...once you get the lay of the land. It is like no other place....Truly

Check out Island Fish & Chips at King's shops (little take-out window on the lake) for some fresh fare.They do a good business.Less than $10 including a pineapple coleslaw. Fish is usually either Ono or MahiMahi...whichever is catch of the day.

Sandusky
Level Contributor
52 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Dining in Waikoloa?

KamaainaK - understandable about the locals and chain restaurants. I was just hoping for more beach dining options as it's snowy and COLD here in Ohio and Lake Erie is freezing! I just want to soak up as much sand and turquois water as I can get! And id that type of dining were an easy option, I'd jump on it! Most other tropical/beach places I've traveled around the world have had a broad range of eateries on or within site of the beach/ocean, but I'm learning that the Big Island is different. And I'm OK with that. :) We're headed to Maui after HW and there are plenty there. THANKS again everyone. Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.