We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around Waikoloa Beach Resort

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Walking around Waikoloa Beach Resort

Hey everyone,

We are booked at Halii Kai for a few weeks this coming Feb.

My questions is how far everything is in terms of walking distance from where we booked? Ie. A Bay, Kings Shops, Queens Market. Can we walk to these places and if so how are away are they?

Thanks!

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking around Waikoloa Beach Resort

Yes you can walk there...but it is a bit of a hike from the main entrance to Hali'i Kai. We stayed a few years ago at the Colony Villas, which shared a back entrance with Hali'i Kai.

As I recall, it was about 5-10 minutes to the Hilton, and about 10-15 to the Kings Shops. Probably 15-20 minutes to the Queens Market.

I used Google Maps and used their pedestrian directions option. It showed that from the main gate at Hali'i Kai, it's about 1.2 miles to Roys, and would take 24 minutes. I think that's excessive...but perhaps we walked fast. (Though we were also pushing a stroller, so it makes me wonder.)

We also didn't have a watch and weren't timing ourselves. We were on vacation, after all. I think the distance is probably fairly accurate...the time, maybe not so much.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=19.9238815,-155.8866159+to:600+Waikoloa+Beach+Drive,+Waikoloa,+HI+96738+(Waikoloa+Beach+Resort:+Beach+Course)&hl=en&ll=19.917012,-155.88118&spn=0.003783,0.004549&sll=19.920545,-155.879495&sspn=0.01513,0.018196&geocode=FXMMMAEdrG-19g%3BFakDMAEd6Vu19ikL5PuQjndUeTEPzdp6iVGUSQ%3BFdD3LwEdf1y19iFUVfd_2QTAYCmJdNj6kndUeTF3EIQpzJNDKw&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=16&via=1&z=18

Canada
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking around Waikoloa Beach Resort

The orientation of Hali'i Kai within the WBR is rather unique. The majority of the buildings run perpendicular to the roadway ..and the Ocean. Depending on your location within the property of HK..it can be over a 1/2 mile just to get to the entranceway(Waikloa Beach Drive)

So if the plan is to walk along the sidewalks ...it can be a rather long and hilly jaunt. HK is probably the most distant property from both shops.....You can utilize the Service or"Maintenance " road if you are originating at the Colony.

So if you are in a building closer to the water within HK(8-17).... The walk would be close to 1.5 miles....If a stroll to and from Dinner is the goal.......some may consider a 3 mile walk more than they desire.

The area around and within HK is extremely conducive to all sort of walks. The ocean trail especially from HK's OceanClub to the Hilton is pretty popular.......however not to be undertaken in darkness.

The Shops & Marketplace is short drive from Hali'i Kai...with plenty of free parking.

www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/brhaliikai.html

Edited: 09 April 2012, 20:44
San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking around Waikoloa Beach Resort

I would add to Waderlusts post that the trail that runs from the ocean club to the hilton should not be done in the dark.... unless you have some flashlights. Then it is fine (But you have to pay ATTENTION!) And it is a very cool walk when you can actually see the view.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking around Waikoloa Beach Resort

I think walking to everything there would get really old fast. There are so many beautiful things to do and see on island that I think it would be a waste of

precious time to do all this rather uninteresting walking in order to avoid 5

minutes in the car.

There's plenty of strolling to do once you are at the shopping centers.

Also that means you need to wear good walking shoes everywhere. Not very Hawaiian in feel .. but then I always loved taking the shoes off and living in slippahs on vacation-- and still do.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
56 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking around Waikoloa Beach Resort

There is a shuttle bus that runs from the Hilton to the Kings Shops to the Marriott to the Queens Marketplace and back again along the same route.

So if you are a short walk from the Hilton you can use that bus service. It's $2 per person anytime you get on the bus though. Fortunately its an easy walk from the Kings Shops to the Queens Marketplace so from the Hiton round trip to the shopping areas it would be $4 per person.

6. Re: Walking around Waikoloa Beach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 13:15