We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikoloa Marriott being sold - new owner unknown

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,791 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Waikoloa Marriott being sold - new owner unknown

westhawaiitoday.com/sections/news/local-news…

Wonder what brand it will be next? I hope a bunch of people aren't laid off (see the article).

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikoloa Marriott being sold - new owner unknown

It needs a major reno. I wonder if that's in the plans or if they'll just keep operating it as a Marriott and be business as usual. The fact that no liquor license app has been submitted implies a shut down....I would probably be a little concerned if I held reservations there in the next year. I can see them putting everybody at the Courtyard.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 21:12
LA
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikoloa Marriott being sold - new owner unknown

Yipes. With the KVR down and now Marriott probably closing for a remodel (I agree, it needs it), there will be more pricing pressure on west side hotels.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,791 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikoloa Marriott being sold - new owner unknown

I'm surprised it needs a full remodel. The Marriott spent over 50 million dollars on a reno that was completed six years ago this month, and took about a year to do IIRC.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikoloa Marriott being sold - new owner unknown

Yeah, but it seems like that was all about the pool, restaurants, and common areas. The rooms really needed it and I didn't think much, if anything, was done there.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,791 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waikoloa Marriott being sold - new owner unknown

I found an article from 2007 that details the room refresh, quite a lot really.

…about.com/b/2007/03/15/the-waikoloa-beach-m…

Most money was spent on common areas, pool, new spa, new ballroom, opened up lobby, changed the theme to more Hawaiian and not kitsch.

Couldn't make the rooms larger though.

Edited: 18 March 2013, 09:17
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Waikoloa Marriott being sold - new owner unknown

Wow glad I was lurking on this board. We are using Marriott points for a stay in June. I spoke with Marriott and they cannot provide any info with respect to the status of reservations past the closing date in May. Only comfort they could offer is that reward reservations are accommodated 90% of the time with management changes. Of course everyone, most importantly the employees, will be SOL if the property shuts down immediately for a remodel. I booked a refundable room at the Fairmont as a back up. Anyone planning to stay in May or after should consider doing the same. At lot more expensive than free but an expensive day in hawaii is better than no day in Hawaii. If the property does close, rates will likely go through the roof with the wave of people trying to secure a new place to stay.

Thanks for the info.

Tishomingo, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
168 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waikoloa Marriott being sold - new owner unknown

We are booked May 25th, would you be concerned?

California
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waikoloa Marriott being sold - new owner unknown

No one is going to close down a resort like that at the beginning of the high summer season. To much money at stake plus any plans for a remodel with take months (years?) of planning and approvals. These hotel's in Hawaii change owners all the time with little impact on anyone.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waikoloa Marriott being sold - new owner unknown

I wouldn't be so sure. While you may well be right, there's some strange things to be read in the tea leaves. I too would get a fully refundable back up reservation elsewhere jut to be on the safe side.

6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Waikoloa Marriott being sold - new owner unknown

My thought was based upon the WARN notice provided by Marriott, it is very likely that a management change will accompany the sale. As to a shutdown, no clue as to the likelihood but it is strange that there are no liquor license application. I would not be as concerned if I was not using Marriott points for my room, but figured better safe than sorry. Especially because my stay in the Marriott is in the middle of my itinerary.

Get answers to your questions about Waikoloa