We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Waikola Village: Price dropped $300 pp in 3 weeks

San Diego
7 posts
Save Topic
Hilton Waikola Village: Price dropped $300 pp in 3 weeks

I used the Hilton Waikola Village website to book our family vacation about 4 weeks ago. Price $1200/pp. I did the same website 3 weeks later(today) for the exact same dates and package: Price $900/pp. - OUCH!!

I called the online reservation. Unless I booked and called within 72 hours of booking, no price guarantee. I asked since I'm now paying a premium can I get a room up grade? They said they were not authorized but I should call back to their supervisor M-F 8am EST.

This is a bad start.

For 4 people that's $1200.

Any suggestions?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Waikola Village: Price dropped $300 pp in 3 weeks

Hotels may choose to do sales to fill those last empty rooms just like airlines. If your package is refundable you could cancel the original and rebook it (but doesn't sound like it).

You're not paying a premium in the hotel's eye; you're just not paying the rock bottom sale price. Probably there are people who paid more than you for your room. It probably won't get you too far to approach the supervisor as if you are over-paying.

Upgrades are at the supervisor's discretion depending on availability so maybe if the person likes your attitude you'll get one, but I think if you put it as being entitled to one it won't help you.

Just my opinion, if you have a good argument argue it, and if you don't really have a leg to stand on, try aloha!

San Diego
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Waikola Village: Price dropped $300 pp in 3 weeks

KamaainaK,

You're right I need to walk in someone else's shoes to see it from their side.

I appreciate you sharing the hotels shoes.

Attitude does determine outcome.

Aloha!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Waikola Village: Price dropped $300 pp in 3 weeks

I hate to tell you but if you keep digging you probably will find even lower prices on other web sites. (Contrary to popular belief , the hotel direct web site IS NOT the lowest price available!) Since there is such a huge price difference in your case, maybe you can cancel the reservation with paying a penalty and book it again at the lower price.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Waikola Village: Price dropped $300 pp in 3 weeks

TT beat me to it. I would cancel, pay the penalty and rebook using Hotwire and/or Priceline, or at least look into it…I use the hotels websites only to get the baseline, I look at that as where I will START and usually can find much better prices by looking, and sometimes being creative. It would probably be worth your time to research the cancellation policy. Good luck and happy travels!

San Diego
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Waikola Village: Price dropped $300 pp in 3 weeks

I appreciate the cancellation tip.

According to their website (and their help rep) to cancel the airline ticket is $130 and the hotel is non-cancelable (probably about $1500).

Next step is to ask for upgrades.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Waikola Village: Price dropped $300 pp in 3 weeks

Cancel... dont buy packages as you can do better on your own .

why would you cancel however the airline.... did you buy it through the hotel ??

the cancellation fee for all airlines is a flat 100 not 130.... whoever booked you is making a profit in every thing. $30 for sure

When you book with the priceline/ cheap tickets /hotelsdirect

you dont get options.... you dont get airline miles, hotel points in many of the deals....... make your money work not throw it away

San Diego
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Waikola Village: Price dropped $300 pp in 3 weeks

I talked to Hilton reservations who sent me to Hilton Waikola Village reservations.

I told the hotel I booked this throught the hilton website.

They said priceline is the one who handles their web bookings behind the scenes.

I called priceline and they said I could cancel the airline for $130 but the hotel reservation could only be canceled 7 days or more before. Too late for me.

I looked at the airfares using sidestep.com and the airline price did not change in 3 weeks.

My wife said to leave it as is before I make it worse.

Strike one Hilton.

Texas
Level Contributor
558 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Waikola Village: Price dropped $300 pp in 3 weeks

Your wife is correct. Look at the bright side ... at least you have a room. A lot of people want to stay there in the summer, but there are no vacancies. Some people may have gambled on availability and gotten a slightly better price, but you got what you bargained for at the time you booked. Don't worry ... be happy.

9. Re: Hilton Waikola Village: Price dropped $300 pp in 3 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Waikoloa