We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transportation from Kona

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Transportation from Kona

I am flying into Kona airport and staying at the Waikaloa Village Hilton. The hotel charges $55 to pick me up. I am wondering if that is a good deal, or if it would be cheaper to take a taxi? I'm arriving around 11:30 pm if that makes any difference in taxi availability. Any information is greatly appreciated!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,157 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Transportation from Kona

Why don't you just rent a car ??.....The agencies are open that late for you to pick up a vehicle.......without a car, you will be "trapped" in a disney-esque hotel and not be able to see the rest of a very lovely island......

Florida
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Transportation from Kona

I agree, a car is a must on any island except Oahu.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,522 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Transportation from Kona

A car rental is a must.

Let's assume you are meeting up with someone at the Hilton with whom you are sharing a vehicle (The car being already at the hotel)

A taxi to Waikoloa Beach Resort is between $55-60 plus tip. Availability will not be an issue. If a flight is coming in...there are taxis.

I suspect it would be 6 of 1.....half dozen of another...with the options you propose. With the taxi....it's there when you are ready to go. ....maybe you would have to wait for the shuttle....hard to say.It's probably a contract the hotel has with Speedishuttle . I noticed an increased number of them on the Hwy during our last visit.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Transportation from Kona

Some people get told from corporate rental agencies, or assume, that the airport locations close earlier than their late night arrival, but at KOA they stay open until the last plane to accommodate those travelers. So if that's your concern, no worries. Otherwise, I agree, get a car the whole time, you will definitely want and need one.

To answer your question, though, a taxi won't be any cheaper than the $55 quote.

Edited: 05 June 2013, 02:07
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
606 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Transportation from Kona

Noticed you're from Abbotsford, are you flying in from Vancouver?

I'm not sure if you drive, but if you do it is really good to have a car.

If it's the same flight I took, we landed at about 11pm. I booked the car through costco.com and put arrival time at 10:30pm, plus added my flight #. The car rental places stayed open for all of us on the plane.

LA
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Transportation from Kona

Just chiming in to agree with everyone else that you should just rent a car and drive.

If you are arriving about 11:30 pm Kona time, that will be about 8:30 your time so it won't feel like the middle of the night at all.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
606 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Transportation from Kona

It would actually be 2:30am their time.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Transportation from Kona

I want to live in Pareoʻs world. ;-)

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
606 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Transportation from Kona

Me too:) it's almost 9pm HI time, almost 1am my time, and I usually wake up in 4 hours, shouldn't I be asleep?:) I don't know how others function when the time change is way more of a difference.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Transportation from Kona

i have stayed at that hotel (among others) too when i was in hawaii,

it is a nice hotel but i wanted to go around the island, so i did rent a car from the airport and drove all over the place, go to priceline, expedia or travelocity for one.

unless u are staying only a couple of days and leaving and just want to stay at the hotel.