We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Friday shopping

sydney
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Black Friday shopping

Hi, I have just heard about Black Friday shopping frenzies in th US mainland. Do they happen on The Big Island too. thanks, and if so where

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Friday shopping

Yes, and it is not pleasant.

Hilo and Kailua Kona would be the main places.

I pretty much wonʻt go to the store that day; itʻs too ugly.

A lot of the frenzy centers around certain loss leader items that have limited quantity, and most times they are some crappy brand. The actual value of the sale savings for items one would really want is much exaggerated IMO.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 04:16
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,711 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Friday shopping

I went to Waikoloa Beach one time on Black Friday and it was a little busy but not at all unpleasantly so, unlike places like WalMart, KMart, Target, Macy's in Kailua Kona and Hilo or the Hilo mall, which I would avoid like the plague. I got some good deals at the surf/clothing stores at the Queens Shops. I stopped on a whim after a beach day, I didn't plan it...not a shopper....

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Friday shopping

Yes, I meant to say that the negative part of my comment was towards the places where people get in a frenzy, like Prince Kuhio Plaza and the Kailua places Shea listed.

The shops in Waikoloa only wish there would be crowds like that. The serious shoppers are out hunting at a different type of store. I consider myself a diehard bargain hunter when I shop, but I will not touch Black Friday early bird deals at the Hilo mall.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,211 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Friday shopping

OK now....I definitely think the two of you have been on Island waaaay ...too long :-).........Shopping on the Big Island ...even on Black Friday can not possibly be compared to the craziness that goes on the Mainland......for this inquisitive OP from Oz.

Kidding now......the comparison is difficult, it's all relative...as Black Friday sales are over the top events on the Mainland.

But for the limited shopping that the Big Island has.....it's a popular day where many turn out in the hope of scoring some "deals" It is the USA after all.

sydney
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Friday shopping

Thanks guys, i think I will be avoiding like the plague too, would rather spend my holiday snorkelling than fighting crazy shoppers

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Black Friday shopping

lol Wanderlust,

Well look at it this way, Prince Kuhio Mall is shopping central on Black Friday serving as the ONLY mall area for about 100,000 people. And it is not that big. And itʻs going to be a crowd of people who are not used to crowds or crazy parking lot etiquette. But luckily, a lot of people are laid back and not consumers.

OTOH, a lot of people are fairly poor, so deals light up their eyes, especially stuff like tools and TVʻs.

Anyhow, I remembered a few topics on a local board about Hilo Black Friday that I was able to find, and here are two reports.

"Last year I planned my shopping day. I had 5 things I wanted to get and Sears(Hilo) had advertised them all on sale. We stood in line for over an hour just to get in. We went to there respective departments only to be told that they never got them in. We wound up not getting anything. We then went to ace for an item and heard the same thing. We were able to get a rain check at ace but it was very frustrating. The employees were frustrated too. They say that corp. dictates the sales and they don't have time to order them."

(following a harrowing tale of a mainland Black Friday) ...

Hopefully the Hilo crowd is better behaved, but I'm not gonna risk it

(reply)

No unfortunately the Hilo crowd is just as nuts. My one and only Black Friday experience was at Walmart 4 years ago. Got there 2 hours early line snaked around the back by Home Depot. By the time we got in it was every man for themselves and pushing shoving, chaos, I've never been so scared in my life. I immediately did what ___ did and fought the crowd to get out with what I thought was my life. NEVER, Never again. "

Note; that was when the economy was doing well.

Someone else wrote that it was neat up in Volcano with craft fair and artist studio events.

Someone else was at Sears at 4:00 AM for the 5:30 opening and said that was the time to get there to score the notebook computer deal.

A few who drove by noted the parking lots were full at midday but it did not appear insane.

It is true that we donʻt have trampling deaths here, so far, thank goodness.

sydney
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black Friday shopping

Ha ha, I have seen a lot of pictures of Walmart people down here in Australia. Definitely wouldn't want to run into any of them. Might check out what is happening at the Volcano

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Black Friday shopping

Lol at crazy Walmart people!

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,423 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Black Friday shopping

Just remember nowadays, a lot of the deals (but not all) are also availabe online. Some of them even a day or two BEFORE Black Friday!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Black Friday shopping

Yes, but a visitor from down under would not find the online shopping option much help.