We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Hilo/Volcano day trip and other questions

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
302 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Hilo/Volcano day trip and other questions

Aloha,

We arrive on Sun 11/3 for a week at The Bay Club (exchange). Boyfriend and I were at Kingsland two years ago and I have been to BI a few other times over the years. I did the volcano back when I was 10. We have been visiting one of the hawaiian islands each year for the past several years so we definitely don't feel like we have to 'do it all' this trip. Boyfriend has never been to the Hilo side or Volcano and isn't really excited about visiting the volcano. He's from Ireland and I can remember the first time I took him to Hawaii (Maui), he wasn't too excited but when we arrived,

he fell in love! He just has no idea about the beauty on the east side! I'm trying to persuade him

otherwise! We are in our 40s but not big outdoorsy types that hike or dive, etc. We typically relax by spending mornings at the beach (last time we would hit Hapuna or Mauna Kea from 9am-12pm, grab a casual lunch, then resort pool or shopping, followed by dinner out. I like to visit farmer's markets, shop at local boutiques, soak in the spiritual vibe by taking a yoga class or getting a massage and exploring the different areas. We don't typically take tours but have done a helicopter on Maui and Kauai, a Napali coast catamaran on Kauai and kayaked to Kealakekua last time. I had a back injury last year and cannot walk extensively (over an hour, such as on a tour) without pain but can certainly get around and walk at a leisurely pace as long as it's relatively flat and I can take breaks if needed. I'd like to drive to Hilo for the day, maybe going to the Wednesday farmer's market, seeing a waterfall or two, visiting Big Island Candies and having lunch. How long is the drive from Waikoloa? If we chose to visit the volcano, what would you recommend we see to get a basic overview or taste without hiking and not killing my back? I'm considering a helicopter or plane ride for ease and comfort.

Does anyone have a farmer's market schedule for what areas have it on which days/times? I love

to buy local produce and goods there and try to hit as many as possible!

Also, last time we shopped at the Island Gourmet in Waikoloa and Foodland Farms at The Mauna Lani. They were fine for our needs (yes pricey but that's ok) since we won't go to Costco for just the two of us. We mostly buy snacks and will cook a dinner or two in so like the gourmet selection of those two stores. I went to the Waikoloa Market (not sure of name) in the village once last time but didn't care for it. Is there another market up North near Waimea/Kawaihae or Hawi? I don't mind driving the 30+ minutes as I enjoyed what little I saw of those areas last time and would like to explore them further. We have no problem driving outside of Waikoloa, either north or south for

meals and shopping.

Mahalo!

Mentioned in this post
The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort
The Bay Club at Waikoloa...
1,074 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area
Hapuna Beach State...
2,075 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
252 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Big Island Candies
Big Island Candies
499 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island Gourmet
Island Gourmet
392 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,157 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Hilo/Volcano day trip and other questions

You might drive up to Waimea, make a stop at Waipio, then go down the Hamakua Coast to Akaka Falls and Hilo. If you can't walk around comfortably at VNP, how about a helicopter tour? (You could also do an air tour out of KOA.)

It's a LONG drive from Kohala area to Hilo and back -- doesn't leave much time to see anything at VNP. Well, not MY cup o' tea. If you wanted to overnight, do that in Volcano, not Hilo.

I'm sure Shea or KK will be along shortly to tell you more.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,163 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Canada
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Hilo/Volcano day trip and other questions

Here is a list of Farmer's markets around the Island and their hours of operation.

http://www.konaweb.com/konaweb/farmer.shtml

We usually stop at the Fish Market up in Kawaihae for a fresh selection. Great litlle lunch wagon as well.

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g60942-d206…

One of our favorite farmer's market is the Homestead market in Waimea on Saturday

www.waimeafarmersmarket.com/index.php…

Mentioned in this post
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Hilo/Volcano day trip and other questions

I think it is better to do separate day trips for VNP and Hilo/Hamakua. VNP is time consuming, whether you hike or not, and Hilo-Hamakua is best done at leisurely pace.

For VNP, take the newly finished Saddle Road to make good time.

For Hilo, full market is as you know Wed or Sat. Ends at about 4PM, but better to get there earlier.

Hamakua-Hilo

Waipiʻo Lookouot

Laupahoehoe Point and Train Museum

Akaka Falls is very doable for your needs if you take the left side of the loop and walk clockwise to Akaka Falls, then turn around. It is shorter and doesnʻt have the elevation gain of the rest of the loop, which I think would challenge your condition.

Honomu Village, check out the bakery, the jam samples, and the vintage glass shop, minimum.

Hilo Tropical Botanical Gardens is in a gulch, but they offer golf cart rides up and down for visitors with issues such as yours. (Call them first.) This lush garden is unlike any other and should wow the boyfriends. Allow two hours.

Onomea Scenic Route, HTBG is on the route.

Papaʻikou Plantation Museum, full of wonderful history showing the sugar cane plantation life on Hamakua. In Papaʻikou, next to the post office, signed on the highway across from Pinkyʻs. Open until 3.

There is a new shopping center next to BIC, on the mauka side, just FYI, has a couple lunch options. The Hilo Hawaiian Style Cafe and Miyoʻs, a Japanese restaurant that used to be on the Wailoa Lagoon.

I think Liliuʻokalani Gardens is extremely beautiful if the weather holds, and the walking is very manageable, as is the walk over to Moku Ola (Coconut Island) over the new bridge.

It sounds like you like to shop a little, and the Hilo Bayfront in the old downtown, where you will be for the market, is a nice little stroll, as is the next street back.

This is a full day by itself, and all these things are better done early, when the sun is to the east, as the northeast slope of Mauna Kea gets dim earlier than the rest of the island, but is brilliant in the morning and midday.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Saddle Road
Saddle Road
3,124 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaiian Style Cafe
Hawaiian Style Cafe
1,083 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Coconut Island
Coconut Island
537 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
252 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Hilo/Volcano day trip and other questions

Thank you Wanderlust for the list!

Foodlandʻs main market is in Waimea, and it has more selection than Foodland Farms but still has the gourmet goodies. Kamuela Liquors in Waimea for wine.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
302 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Hilo/Volcano day trip and other questions

Wanderlust-thank you for the links! We ate at the Fish Wagon twice last time, after the beach! We loved it and plan on returning!

KamaainaK-thank you for your detailed suggestions! I'll read up on them and narrow it down. You are correct, I enjoy shopping, especially for items only available locally. I'll be sure to check out the shops you mentioned. I see your point about splitting VNP and Hilo exploration.

If we decide to do an air tour of VNP, does anyone prefer helicopter or plane and why?

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,258 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Hilo/Volcano day trip and other questions

We were at the Bay Club a about 6 weeks ago. Being in Building #4 puts you right across from the pool, grills and DVD rental machine. Just a suggestion if you can get into there.

Mentioned in this post
The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort
The Bay Club at Waikoloa...
1,074 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
302 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for Hilo/Volcano day trip and other questions

AKStafford-thank you! I'll try to request but I think that we will have little to no edge as we aren't owners. I'd love a top floor unit but probably wishful thinking! At least we have a 2BR so we will get a golf view vs parking lot view!

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for Hilo/Volcano day trip and other questions

Is Waimea no longer referred to as Kamuela ?

First time visitors should know it is the same place.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for Hilo/Volcano day trip and other questions

It's always been Waimea, nothing changed.

Kamuela is the post office address. The post office at some point long ago made them pick another name because there is a Waimea on both Oahu and Kaua'i. So a lot of businesses are named Kamuela this and that.

But if you read the paper about an event or read the police log or even look at the Farmer's Market name, the town is Waimea. The Kamuela post office area (zip code) includes everything in South Kohala north of Waikoloa, the coast from Mauna Lani to Kawaihae. Waimea OTOH only refers to the upcountry town.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,163 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
10. Re: Suggestions for Hilo/Volcano day trip and other questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:18