We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals

Auckland New Zealand
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Car rentals

We are staying at Hilton Waikoloa Village for 6 nights in June and think we should hire a car for a day or 2. Is this a good idea? What is worth seeing-we have 2 children aged 20 and 18 with us. Has anyone got some car rental recommendations?

Canada
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rentals

Oh heavens.....you NEED a vehicle for every moment you are on Island.

To be without a vehicle would be ill advised.

No matter where one stays on Island a vehicle is a necessity, but especially the Hilton.......you are going to want to get out and about. The area is isolated..... in the middle of a Lava field.

There is SO. Much to see and do on the Big Island, and a vehicle will allow you to see the beauty of it.

All the majors at KOA are good.....Alamo, Avis, Budget, National, Hertz. Picking up upon arrival and drop-off will save you transportation fees to the Hotel. The drive is a straight shot up the Hwy roughly 30 km(18 miles)

Navigating the Island is also very straight forward, if that is at all a concern.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rentals

Agree. You need a car the whole time. The Hilton in particular is not somewhere I'd want to be stuck; no beach or ocean access, and it's the least "Hawaii" hotel on the island. (Have you considered a condo with a family of four adults? Even if you're on HH points there are condo options).

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,186 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rentals

Check out this website for a good rate for the car.

www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

Just don't prepay, and check back every once in a while to see if the rates drop. You can re book the car, and then cancel the preexisting reservation. Lots of us save hundreds of dollars doing this.

tripadvisor.ca/…57262770

This is a thread from the Maui forum, but it will help you with the dilemma about insurance. At least I hope it helps, and doesn't confuse the issue.

Edited: 05 April 2014, 05:34
Bolton, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rentals

Ditto, definitely need a car for whole time. This isn't Oahu where there is public transit, without a car will cost you plenty to travel anywhere on island with 4 people, even cost from/to airport will run you probably $50 each way.

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rentals

There is a national car rental kiosk at the Hilton. Reserve in advance as they tend to get booked up. We rented a 4x4 to drive up to the observatory from this place, we were lucky to get one without reservation. Saw a few people after us get turned down.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rentals

National, like all the major rental car companies, prohibits their vehicles from being taken to the summit of Mauna Kea, whether or not they are 4wd, so if something happens at a minimum it will turn into a very unexpectedly expensive vacation. A number of people have ended up having to buy a new car for a rental agency, not to mention liability and medical costs should you injure yourself or another person. Tourists have also died driving down from the summit even with a rental 4wd. Best practice if you want to visit the summit is to take a tour.

Rental cars are allowed up to the visitors center, no 4wd necessary.

Edited: 20 April 2014, 00:26
Las Vegas, Nevada...
Level Contributor
50 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rentals

Travelling to the big Island and Oahu at the end of June. Just saved over $200 on my Kona rental car using them. Wow!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,186 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rentals

Lawrence, keep checking the rates, as they may very well drop again before your departure. Your $200.00 saved, will buy a lot of mai tais, or a very nice dinner out somewhere.

Have a great trip!

Las Vegas, Nevada...
Level Contributor
50 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rentals

Joan, I'll keep that in mind.

Also to the original poster we always stay at the Hilton and I wouldn't think of staying just on property. I think the first time we were there we stayed on property completely 1 day.

Hackettstown, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rentals

Agree with all the other replies,I'm at HWV ,now absoluetly esential to rent a car .......explore the island

have fun

Get answers to your questions about Waikoloa