We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Waikoloa - Diamond Members, Did You Get Upgraded?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Waikoloa - Diamond Members, Did You Get Upgraded?

My husband and I are staying at the Hilton Waikoloa in October using points. He is Diamond with them, so he gets complimentary room upgrades when available. However, when we booked the room, there was a warning across the top of the page that stated that upgrades are limited, so please book the room that you expect to get. Just wondering if anyone has had success getting upgraded here. Not that it's a huge deal, and I know it's never a sure thing, but I just want to know if we have a shot.

Las Vegas, Nevada...
Level Contributor
50 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Waikoloa - Diamond Members, Did You Get Upgraded?

What you need to do is see what the occupancy will be at the time of your trip. What dates in October as the Iron man is Oct 11 and that will have some impact. Not sure what else might make the occupancy be high.

LArry

Canada
Level Contributor
9,175 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Waikoloa - Diamond Members, Did You Get Upgraded?

While a visit to the Islands in October is often viewed as somewhat of a low season.....not on the Big Island however.

If your visit is anywhere near the great date (Oct11,2014) for the IronMan competition.......occupancy levels are at an all time high.

While it would be pure speculation as to your chances....if the visit is toward the end of the month ....past the 20 th.....I would say your chances of an upgrade are better. One never knows what seminars/ conferences are booked at the Hotel...to raise occupancy levels......though you can check on those.

My rule of thumb for just about everything travel related......Airplane cabin class, rental vehicle category, hotel room, is to book what I desire from the get go. It allows for satisfaction every time.....and any unsolicited upgrades are just the icing.......not delivered due to my sense of expectance.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Waikoloa - Diamond Members, Did You Get Upgraded?

Yeah, we arrive on the 7th and depart on the 11th. Oh, well. It's not like we'll be in the room very much, anyway. Thanks for the feedback!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,249 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Waikoloa - Diamond Members, Did You Get Upgraded?

You leave on IM day? Make sure you know the road closure schedule and allow plenty of time to get to the airport via the alternate routing if it's during the highway closure times.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Waikoloa - Diamond Members, Did You Get Upgraded?

Oh, yikes, thanks for letting me know. I will be sure to check all of that. I hope we didn't make a huge mistake booking those dates.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,249 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Waikoloa - Diamond Members, Did You Get Upgraded?

It will be fine, just avoid Kailua Kona, and keep a close eye out for all the athletes on the highway in the days before. At the beaches and north Hawaii you won't notice much of a difference otherwise. I don't think the road closure map is up yet but when it is you can see and plan your route to the airport. If you're leaving on the red eye or later at night it won't be an issue.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,175 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Waikoloa - Diamond Members, Did You Get Upgraded?

So....boy oh boy....what time is your flight leaving KOA on the 11 th?

Fingers crossed it is in the evening.

Good attitude on the room upgrade....as it seems given your dates...the. Hotel is likely to be fairly full.

Often folks will recommend a day or so on the East side in order to escape the madness which is IronMan....but given your 4 night stay , and KOA departure.....

Just had a thought....I imagine the Big Island segment is part of multi Island trip.....Any chance you could fly out of ITO to perhaps your other Island, and avoid KOA on the 11th? Inter-Island fares are pretty easy to switch...at minimal cost.That way you could have 1 night East.

I would not usually recommend a split with such a brief stay....but the circumstance being what they are......

Now , Big Island may well be your final stop, and departing KOA is your only option.

Just a thought....

Waikoloa, Hawaii
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Waikoloa - Diamond Members, Did You Get Upgraded?

Thanks for reaching out for advice on TripAdvisor regarding your future stay at our resort. As mentioned in some of the comments here, we recommend booking the accommodations you hope to receive. We are a favorite destination for our elite-level HHonors members to redeem their points. With so many Diamond members visiting, it is not always possible to provide upgrades to everyone, although we do our best. The time period in which you are traveling, during October, is extremely busy. September is a much better month for upgrade possibilities, if your travels are flexible. In any case, we look forward to welcoming you.

Debi,

Hilton Waikoloa Village

9. Re: Hilton Waikoloa - Diamond Members, Did You Get Upgraded?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 05:16