We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Waikoloa or Hilton Hawaiian Village?

Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Waikoloa or Hilton Hawaiian Village?

Can anyone compare these two resorts for me? Have been to Hawaiian Village in Honolulu many times so I know what to expect there. Thinking of staying at Waikoloa this trip for something new. Only myself and husband and adult daughter, no small children.

We love Hilton Hawaiian Village so just looking for some pros and cons comparing the two resorts.

Thanks for any advise!!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,182 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Waikoloa or Hilton Hawaiian Village?

I don't like the Hilton Waikoloa but then I'm not fond of HHV either, so you may want to consider that when reading my thoughts.

I personally would choose an island rather than a hotel first. If you like Oahu and Waikiki you may find the Big Island too quiet. It does have much better snorkeling than Oahu and the beaches have generally much less people on them. It also has a lot of accessible heiaus and historical parks, and is a good island for people who like the outdoors. It has some very good restaurants but not the quantity and quality you'll find on Oahu - particularly in the lower price ranges. Oahu has better beaches even if they are busier, and better surfing. What kind of things do you like to do on the BI?

From a subjective point of view my distaste for the Waikoloa Hilton stems from their tragic captive dolphin lagoon. It's also not a Hawaiiana hotel at all, with a large collection of Asian art, and restaurants that don't really reflect locally sourced products or cuisine. Service is impersonal and rooms are nondescript.

More objectively, the pools are not heated and there is no beach. It's a difficult resort to get in and out of. Certain times of year it's absolutely teeming with children.

With three adults, have you considered a condo? If you're looking at Hilton properties because you have points then you could consider Kings Land, which is a lovely newer condo complex in Waikoloa Beach you can book with Hilton points/rewards. You also can use the Hilton pools if you're staying at KL, but you may well not want to, the KL pools are very nice, heated and less crowded. Aside from KL there are many lovely condos in Waikoloa Beach as well as at the Mauna Lani for the price of a Hilton hotel room, with triple the square footage and the option to have and use a kitchen. You'll also really want and need a car the entire time on the BI and so with a condo you won't have parking fees or Internet and resort fees like at the Hilton (not sure what the current resort fee situation is there but I know they have parking fees for valet or self park).

A note that if you do choose the Big Island you'll probably want to spend at least one night on the east side to explore Volcanoes National Park. It's easiest if you fly in one side and out the other to accomplish that although many people double book a night in Volcano or Hilo. Lodging there is very affordable. The Big Island is so large that it's often not a good use of your time to attempt day trips to and from certain areas.

United States
Level Contributor
332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Waikoloa or Hilton Hawaiian Village?

Hilton Waikoloa is the place to be. It's where the popular tv show, Duck Dynasty, filmed part of it's hour long finale.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,182 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Waikoloa or Hilton Hawaiian Village?

And Roger weighs in with yet another reason not to go to the Hilton Waikoloa.

:-))))

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,728 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Waikoloa or Hilton Hawaiian Village?

Aloha,

If you haven't been to the BI before, you might enjoy the change of pace from Oahu.

From my time on TA, I think you might well prefer the condos Shea mentions. I take it you are a Hilton person, so those would work with your program.

Happy planning.

Aloha

AZ
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Waikoloa or Hilton Hawaiian Village?

We love the Big Island. You should consider staying there this time. But there are much better places than the Hilton Waikoloa. We stayed there once but won't be doing it again. Their captive dolphin program is so distasteful to us. It's all about money and I don't want to support that.

"A dolphin (whale, shark, seal, fish) has the right to swim in a straight line as far as he wants to go"

connecticut
Level Contributor
107 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Waikoloa or Hilton Hawaiian Village?

Waikoloa -- Hilton Waikoloa Village

No beach

Pools not heated

Lots of people/children but doesn't feel as crowded as HHV

Dolphins

Very quiet at night

Walking distance from Kings and Queens shops

Resident loud bird population (I like them but most don't)

Tram

Boats

over 60 acres

three towers

updated rooms in Lagoon tower

parking and resort fee

Waikiki -- Hilton Hawaiian Village

nice beach

don't know if pools are heated

teeming with people

no dolphins

lively at night, especially Friday when they have fireworks

walking distance from dozens of shops, hotels, restaurants, all of Waikiki Beach

no annoying birds (at least I don't think there are)

no boat

no tram

22 acres

at least 6 towers

rooms vary according to tower, don't know how recently updated any are or if any compare favorably to HWV Lagoon Tower

resort fee

Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Waikoloa or Hilton Hawaiian Village?

We stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa many years ago and it was okay. Last year we stayed at Kings Land and loved it!! The Big Island is very quiet and laid back. Not that many people around. It does take a little longer to get from point a to b, but we enjoyed the scenery. There's not the hustle and bustle of Honolulu. It would definitely be a change.

8. Re: Hilton Waikoloa or Hilton Hawaiian Village?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 06:16