We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Effects of Iselle?

Campbellsville...
Level Contributor
1 post
50 reviews
Save Topic
Effects of Iselle?

We have a trip booked for second week of September and will be staying on the Kona side of the island. From what I can gather online and in the news the Hilo side was hit the hardest by Iselle and I'm just trying to find out what to expect when we get there. I am unable to gather much information as to the condition of the Island now. I mean no disrespect to those that were affected and those that were affected were in my thoughts last week when the storms occurred and still are.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,417 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Effects of Iselle?

I am sure Shea or KK will be along soon, but my impression was that damage on the Kona/Kohala coast was minimal, just a lot of wind and rain and the usual problems that that brings.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Effects of Iselle?

The storm broke up when it hit the mountains, so the west side was not affected. The ocean was stirred up temporarily. Hilo is fine too, as is Volcano.

Lower Puna is a mess. Pahoa, Kapoho, Kehena, Kalapana, should probably be avoided, although in a month things will be much improved.

Edited: 15 August 2014, 18:53
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Effects of Iselle?

Yeah the Kona/Kohala coasts didn't even get any significant rain. Almost nada. There have been continual swells since the storm though from both the tropical storm remnants and the typical summer SSW swells so ocean conditions haven't been great. There's another storm coming too along the Iselle path that may bring additional swells from the south if it keeps the current track. The Kohala Coast is settling down now though and hopefully will be good for snorkeling the next week or so. Beyond that it's hard to say. As forecast it's been an active storm season.

Edited: 15 August 2014, 22:21
4. Re: Effects of Iselle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Waikoloa