We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How was kappa traffic today?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How was kappa traffic today?

We tried to go to waimea canyon from the north shore yesterday, but made a u-turn once we hit the kappa traffic. Wondering how the traffic was today. We're thinking of trying again tomorrow.

5 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How was kappa traffic today?

It's Kapaa fwiw.

I found it much better. Went to town about 3 PM. No backup until you got to about Otsukas (just past the bypass turn). Took about 6-8 min to get to Bubba burger and I bailed to head to the dump. Coming back, I found that the slowdown is the merge in front of Pono Kai. People are coming down the hill or sneaking around the first leg of the bypass and merging back in. After that point, things went pretty smoothly. It's just a low speed area with traffic lights so it takes a few min to get through.

On the way back about 20 min later, the backup had moved north by about 500 yards. Looked like typical 4:30 traffic.

My guess (and that's all it is) is that the slowdown on the north end of town is time you might have spent in traffic at the south end if the bypass were open. Obviously there's no one merging in from the bypass any more so that area will move faster.

No idea what the morning commute looked like.

Edited: 09 March 2012, 03:04
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How was kappa traffic today?

Thank you for correcting my spelling and for the information. I also just realized I posted in the wrong subgroup. Not sure how that happened.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How was kappa traffic today?

I headed for Lihu`e about 10:15 this morning. Hit traffic just north of Otsuka's, but it wasn't horrible. I did jump on the bypass as far as the circle and back to Kuhio at Pono Kai, which may or may not have saved me much. The tie-up pretty much broke up a little past the Big Save light. I don't think I was delayed for more than 10-15 minutes.

Traffic northbound at 1:15 seemed pretty normal.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How was kappa traffic today?

I don't think anyone pays any attention to the sub groups. TA went wild on the number for such a small island.

California
Level Contributor
37,009 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How was kappa traffic today?

This is from a facebook page:

<<REPAIR WORK BEGINS ON KAPAA TEMPORARY

BYPASS ROAD

LIHUE — The state Department of Transportation (DOT) advises Kauai motorists that the south leg of the Kapaa Temporary Bypass Road, which has been closed in both directions since Monday, March 5, is expected to be reopened by Monday, March 12, weather-permitting. The road was closed from Kuhio Highway to Olohena Road after heavy rains and floods undermined a 36-inch drainage culvert under the roadway.

A state contractor has removed the damaged drainage system and is in the process of installing a 42-inch drainage culvert and repaving and repairing the affected roadway, weather-permitting.

The road closure is creating heavier than normal traffic on Kuhio Highway in the Kapaa area and DOT advises all motorists to drive with caution and allow for extra travel time.>>

Reply to: How was kappa traffic today?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted