We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anahola mixed reviews

Arcata, California
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anahola mixed reviews

My family and I have rented a vacation home in Anahola for Christmas 2013. After booking, my father-in-law (he is providing the trip for all of us) had a friend of a friend check out the neighborhood. Her review was that the house was in "low income" area and that the beach park was full of campers and very dirty. I have been scouring reviews ever since. I am still confused. Thanks to many of other reviews, I have learned about Hawaiian Homeland, that break-ins can happen anywhere and that there is a registry for vacation rentals. I have contacted the rental agency as our house is listed as denied on the TVR list. As for low-income, based on street view on Google Maps, IMHO, the houses are clean, kept up and very friendly neighborhood looking. For those extremely familiar, the house we are renting is toward to north end of the beach front homes between the park and the river mouth. My FIL is tempted to cancel the reservation but I want to trust that all will be well. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

25 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Anahola mixed reviews

I am not sure what house you plan on renting and stuff but we stayed on that beach and were robbed in the middle of the night while we were sleeping Please be very careful!

22. Re: Anahola mixed reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 April 2013, 21:35

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,135 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Anahola mixed reviews

Steve, it's a really bad idea to post your email on a public forum. It invites spammers. You can use the "Report Inappropriate Content" link and as for your post to be removed. Repost with a request that the earlier poster PM you, or just PM them directly.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Anahola mixed reviews

Sorry you got robbed Julia, but just so you know, the issue isn't just in Anahola. One specific crackhead was responsible for 2/3s of the burglaries in Princeville. People finally raised enough h--l with the courts and his negotiated 18 mon suspended sentence became 5 years. Princeville burglaries are down from 8/month to 2-3 now.

People also get robbed in Poipu. Anahola by the beach park area is a trouble spot though, no question.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Newport, Oregon
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Anahola mixed reviews

Do you have Michael and Sondra's phone number? I would love to stay there but can't find their site. Thanks so much.

Linda

Reply to: Anahola mixed reviews
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted