We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinion needed on Anahola houses + Anahola vs Kilauea

portland,or
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Opinion needed on Anahola houses + Anahola vs Kilauea

http://www.vrbo.com/436089

http://www.vrbo.com/93478

Hi- Thinking about renting a house in Anahola early April. Links above.

I have been researching but it is hard to tell if Anahola is really any less safe than other areas of Kauai.Also don't know how remote it is as far as grocery stores, etc.

Any insight/opinions greatly appreciated. Also considering Kilauea which is somehow more appealing to me but not sure why. Curious about pros and cons of each place.

Mahalo!

12 replies to this topic
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,320 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinion needed on Anahola houses + Anahola vs Kilauea

Anahola has only a small convenience store nearby, and a burger joint and post office. Kilauea is more of a (very small) town. There's not really anyplace to swim safely at either location in April. Anini Beach will probably be OK, and it's less than 10 minutes from Kilauea. Kealia Beach is about 10 minutes from Anahola. My choice would depend a lot on exactly what properties in each location.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 06:30
portland,or
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinion needed on Anahola houses + Anahola vs Kilauea

We decided on this house in Kilauea.

https://www.hvh.com/xdev/listing.php…

Thanks for your help!

I am still curious about Anahola- maybe we will stay there next time.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,320 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinion needed on Anahola houses + Anahola vs Kilauea

If I'm placing it right, it's in a very nice location outside of town. The only things I can think of just east of Kilauea Light are large, high-end properties.

California
Level Contributor
37,974 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinion needed on Anahola houses + Anahola vs Kilauea

Kilauea is much nicer than Anahola IMO but in Kilauea you aren't close to the beach. There are some really old and moldy homes in Anahola and creepy people hanging around.

Batesville
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinion needed on Anahola houses + Anahola vs Kilauea

My wife and I stayed in Anahola many years ago and enjoyed it, but we found that it was a surprisingly long drive to just about anything. Kilauea may be farther from Kapaa and Lihue than Anahola, but it has great services right there and is ten minutes to Princeville and its large shopping center.

There will be plenty of "useable" beaches within easy reach of Kilauea in April. In addition to the vastly overrated Anini, you'll want to check out Kalihiwai for great small-wave surfing and body surfing; Kahili, a serene and uncrowded beach where we've body-surfed at various times of the year; the always-amazing Secret Beach for long walks and great tidepools; and Hanalei, a 20 minute drive, where you will be able to surf, body-surf, and watch perfect sunsets on one of the world's greatest beaches in April.

Or you can go south and hit Larsen's, Moloaa, Donkey, and Kealia within 30 minutes.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,320 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinion needed on Anahola houses + Anahola vs Kilauea

JFYI, Larsen's Beach is not safe for swimming, and you may run into "interesting" people on the beach. Moloa`a Bay is safe only when calm, (people have been swept away) and probably not in early April, but it's a gorgeous beach. There's some snorkeling around the rocks on the left side. Anini has its advantages: ample parking, sandy bottom, never crowded, some shade available, bathroom facilities, shower, grills, covered picnic tables. Snorkeling is hit or miss, but slabeaume seems to have had a great time. It's our favorite beach for just hanging out.

California
Level Contributor
37,974 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinion needed on Anahola houses + Anahola vs Kilauea

I'll take that "overrated" beach called Anini any old time.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,320 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinion needed on Anahola houses + Anahola vs Kilauea

jebett, let's not publicize it. More room for us. :-)

Batesville
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinion needed on Anahola houses + Anahola vs Kilauea

One reason I regard Anini as over-rated is precisely because it is over-recommended on this (superb) forum and as a result is much more crowded than, say, Kahili. So please keep recommending it . . . so that my wife and I can hang out in virtual isolation on the lesser-known beaches on the North Shore.

But hey, let's not quibble. There are so many great beaches on the North Shore that everyone can have their faves and not-so-faves . . . and there'd still be beaches left over!

California
Level Contributor
37,974 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opinion needed on Anahola houses + Anahola vs Kilauea

Well you just blew your secret. The great thing about the North Shore beaches is there are so many great ones to explore. I don't go to the more populated area of Anini. I agree near the park is too crowded, but down by the river is terrific and maybe I am sharing with 5 or 6 other people and a few dogs. I can handle that.

Reply to: Opinion needed on Anahola houses + Anahola vs Kilauea
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted