We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anahola/Anini/Hanalei? vacation rental options Sept/Oct 2014

Thousand Oaks CA
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Anahola/Anini/Hanalei? vacation rental options Sept/Oct 2014

Hi, we are booking for a 10 day stay on Kauai (East shore or North Shore) to celebrate our 30th anniversary (end of Sept into October 2014). We have been to Kauai 6 times over the years, renting houses (a condo the first time). We've stayed in Hanalei, Anini, Aliomanu and Princeville in the past.

I'm looking at 3 bedroom homes because I want a little space. Also, our son + girlfriend will be on Maui visiting family, and will come stay with us for a few days.

Our last trip was a house on Aliomanu; loved the location but the house had bug & bed comfort issues. My priorities are a nice CLEAN house, on or very close to a walk-able beach (swimming if possible) and peaceful. I have no problem driving to the beaches for snorkeling/swimming, though. We're really looking forward to revisiting Kauai.

some options here - advice/opinions from you all greatly appreciated! It's been over 10 years so I know things have changed. Here are some places I like:

top choice: Napaina @ Anahola: http://www.napaina.com/Views/About.aspx

Anahola house: http://www.vrbo.com/80721

Ka Hale Lihi Kai (Anahola) - http://www.vrbo.com/80721

I have other houses I like on Anini + Hanalei but don't want to overload this post. I understand that Hanalei has gotten rather crowded/busy but by late Sept, would be better?

Thanks for all advice!

CaliCatGirl

California
Level Contributor
36,044 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anahola/Anini/Hanalei? vacation rental options Sept/Oct 2014

I would MUCH rather stay in Hanalei than Anahola. I am not an Anahola fan. There have been lots of break ins in this area the last few year. If you like it that secluded maybe find something in Moolo'a Bay?

Check VRBO or Bali Hai Realty for rentals in Hanalei. Serenity has good rentals at Anini.

The end of Sept into Oct is an awesome time visit, its not as crowded and Hanalei is so quaint and fun. Your Maui visitors would probably prefer it.

Batesville
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anahola/Anini/Hanalei? vacation rental options Sept/Oct 2014

CaliCatGirl - My wife and I stayed at Na Paina a few years ago. I have some thoughts about the house and Anahola in general, but I would rather not share them with the general public. Send me a private message and I'll respond.

Thousand Oaks CA
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anahola/Anini/Hanalei? vacation rental options Sept/Oct 2014

Jebett - thanks for the feedback! I had heard there were break-in issues at Anahola.

I will look at Hanalei rentals again more seriously. Last time we stayed in Hanalei, it was on Weke road across from the beach and was lovely. Any hints on how far away from the beach accesses is reasonable? would rather be closer to the beach than closer to town.

I'll look at Moolo'a as well .... we went down there a couple times to see the are on previous trips and it was beautiful but quite wet, with high surf - I presume that was just those particular times of year? (December)

(BTW - I know some bugs are unavoidable on the island - it IS the tropics. The issues we had at the Aliomanu house were roaches everywhere and swarms of flies, despite keeping everything in sealed containers and cleaning constantly. Other stays were fine, and we enjoy the geckos!)

We liked Anini (that was 20 years ago, yikes!) - that rental was across from the park area so more traffic & people. I'm looking more at the end of Anini Road for a rental if we go that direction - any advice there?

CidBob: I've messaged you privately. :-)

Thanks guys, and please - any other advice happily taken! It is so great to hear from people who know the details.

meows

Kitty

Edited: 19 July 2014, 22:00
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,415 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anahola/Anini/Hanalei? vacation rental options Sept/Oct 2014

<<I would MUCH rather stay in Hanalei than Anahola>>

I'm in total agreement with jebett on this one. I've never stayed in Anahola but have spent some time at the beach while my husband had his quarterly massage at Aunty Angeline's. I much prefer Hanalei. Also, many of the rentals in Moloaa are not legal. We thought about staying there a few years ago and none of the rentals I found could give me their TVR #. Anini is lovely and the rentals farther down the road are more quiet. But it is a ways from the shops and restaurants. Do you have a budget in mind for your rental?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
403 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anahola/Anini/Hanalei? vacation rental options Sept/Oct 2014

hanaleiland.com/hanalei_rentals/nalu_beach_c…

theres availability in sept/oct on this and the identical house next door. IMHO these are the best oceanfront locations on hanalei bay but a bit pricey at $1k/night

Thousand Oaks CA
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anahola/Anini/Hanalei? vacation rental options Sept/Oct 2014

.Martik -... Budget is around $2500 to $3500/week. I'm flexible on that, depending on the rental..... but would like to keep it around that level. Our flights are already booked/paid, so no flexibility on dates there.

Thousand Oaks CA
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anahola/Anini/Hanalei? vacation rental options Sept/Oct 2014

Thop R - beautiful rental, I only wish! but way too pricey for our budget ($2500-$3500/week)

anything else come to mind?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
403 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anahola/Anini/Hanalei? vacation rental options Sept/Oct 2014

hanaleiland.com/hanalei_rentals/koloko_mount…

i stayed here last summer - its just far enough from the pier to avoid a lot of weekend noise but is less than 5 minute walk to the beach. the house is more modern and tightly sealed than the traditional "cottage" and is very spacious.

our contract was for 3500/week rather than 550/night so right at the top end of your budget.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 22:35
Thousand Oaks CA
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anahola/Anini/Hanalei? vacation rental options Sept/Oct 2014

Thop R - koloko cottage looks nice. Yes, at the top of my budget (gulp). Do you have an address so I can google map it and see location?

do you know these Hanalei rentals:

Hoku Hale http://www.vrbo.com/349286

or Hale Maluhia http://www.vrbo.com/563442

or Reed Hale: http://www.vrbo.com/110921

thanks!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,415 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply