We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road from Ha'ena to Koke'e?? Believe it or not!!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Road from Ha'ena to Koke'e?? Believe it or not!!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I know this may be a little off-topic, but since a lot of people who visit don't know or understand why there is no continuous road all the way around our island - here is an article from today's paper that talks about this very thing - it was actually a proposal and something that was started - believe it or not!!

thegardenisland.com/news/local/article_6de80…

Boy, am I ever glad that didn't pan out - I can't imagine the island with a road cut thru like that!!!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road from Ha'ena to Koke'e?? Believe it or not!!

Don't scare me like that!!!

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road from Ha'ena to Koke'e?? Believe it or not!!

Interesting, thanks for posting that!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
737 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road from Ha'ena to Koke'e?? Believe it or not!!

Interesting article ... thanks for posting this. I found it intriguing that at the time, local businesses argued against the road because people might stay fewer days on the island with greater accessibility - another reminder that ALL politics is local, that is - how does this affect MY pocketbook? I think much of Kauai's great charm is that nothing is really all that crowded and many places ARE a little difficult to get to. No doubt an island loop road would completely change the island's dynamics ... Hooray for impassable terrain!

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
789 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road from Ha'ena to Koke'e?? Believe it or not!!

>>"....since an around-the-island road would cause tourists to spend less time on Kaua‘i by enabling them to see Kaua‘i in one day instead of the usual two"<<

Not in my experience! There's just too much to do and see and enjoy on Kauai that I find that ten days on the island just doesn't cut it.... Having a road circumnavigate the island wouldn't change how I would vacation on Kauai, but perhaps for others it would. I have a couple of friends who absolutely don't see what I like so much about Kauai--they much prefer Maui or Kona. Different strokes for different folks and all that....

I wonder if the bulldozers are still in the swamp, or did they use the last of the construction funds to pull them out? The swamp was just the first of the problems, what about after they broke through and had to bring the road back down to sea level in Ha'ena? Talk about your diverse construction problems!

I do see the charm in not having the road go all the way, it does simplify my days as a tourist to have to select one area or another. That way I don't try to cram too much in one day. Though, that said, it would be nice not to have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn to drive from Poipu to Ke'e to get a good morning snorkel in before the crowds arrive....

California
Level Contributor
37,472 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road from Ha'ena to Koke'e?? Believe it or not!!

<<Though, that said, it would be nice not to have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn to drive from Poipu to Ke'e to get a good morning snorkel in before the crowds arrive....>>

You could also stay on the North Shore!

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Road from Ha'ena to Koke'e?? Believe it or not!!

I'm surprised the article doesn't mention it, but did you ever wonder why the Pihea trail along the Kalalau valley rim was so wide? That's right, that is the part of the road they had started to construct--the easy part.

What's interesting is that the article says 4 miles, which means they had cleared much further than that segment of the Pihea trail. So now I'm curious whether that's accurate and where exactly they went. The map show a line going down Hanakapi'ai valley, and I wonder if that was the plan, or just a map someone made. I do know that all the area beyond Pihea is overgrown again, so at least that part didn't leave a scar. Good point, WAmayberry, about whether they pulled the dozers out.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,096 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Road from Ha'ena to Koke'e?? Believe it or not!!

While it would sure make it easier for those on the north shore having to drive south for a 7 a.m. boat departure and it would sure make it easier for those on the south shore to avoid eastside traffic......... it would be a sacrilege to destroy that topography. Kind of like building a highway through the Grand Canyon.

I don't think anyone would ever have to worry about this happening. Local sentiment against it would be way too strong.

northeast georgia
Level Contributor
115 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road from Ha'ena to Koke'e?? Believe it or not!!

Yes, if you hike in the Koke'e area, you will likely spend some time on the old road bed.

9. Re: Road from Ha'ena to Koke'e?? Believe it or not!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Haena