We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in August in Haena

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in August in Haena

We are about to book a vacation rental in Haena and are worried about the rain in the summer months. We are going towards the end of August. Is that going to be a problem?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in August in Haena

That's a great time to stay on the north shore. Don't worry.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in August in Haena

Thank you, "Napa Guy" we are in "the other CA wine country" and don't know too much about Kauai...do you like Haena? If so, would you prefer Haena or Anahalo? We are a big group and don't have lots of choices for where to stay. We have found two houses that can work. Any thoughts you have on that?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in August in Haena

San Luis Obispo I take it? Beautiful area too.

I would definitely pick Haena over Anahola. I've never stayed in Anahola but I know there has been discussion on this board about shenanigans now and then in Anahola.

My main reason is you would better options for good beaches, snorkeling, etc. up in Haena. You'd also have Hanalei just a few minutes down the street, and beautiful Hanalei Bay too. If you stay in Anahola you'll probably end up driving to the north shore beaches all the time anyway. So why not just stay there.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,456 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in August in Haena

Ah, now I see your other post . . . August is a perfect time for Haena - Napaguy is right! Yes, it does sometimes rain on the northshore, but most of these showers are brief and at night - perfect way to be lulled to sleep. Keeps the northshore lush and gorgeous . . . dropdead scenery I think and some of the best snorkeling areas. :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in August in Haena

We stayed in Haena last August (2010), the occasional rain shower for a brief period of time (very brief), other than that, sunny most of the time. Am going back to the same location again this August. Very relaxing spot.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
727 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in August in Haena

Here is a day by day record of temperature and rainfall at the airport last August. In August, there won't be that much difference between there and Haena.

Pay attention to the actual precipitation numbers rather than the symbols. You will see that there were only five days when there was more than a tenth of an inch of rainfall and only one with over two-tenths. Lots of days with a "Trace". That's a two or three minute shower.

wunderground.com/history/…

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in August in Haena

LOVE that detailed reply! You must be an engineer :) Thank you

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,456 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in August in Haena

I have had more than a few people ask me why on earth I would go to Hawaii in the summer . . .once you get to the northshore of Kauai, you will understand - paradise! :)

Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in August in Haena

We are planning to visit Kauai the first week of august and are staying in lieu'e. Someone told me the best snorkeling spots during the summer is up north.

This was great info!

Edited: 27 January 2011, 04:49
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,456 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in August in Haena

Yes, in the summer, the water is almost as flat as a pancake, so great for snorkeling - you will want to try Tunnels, Ke'e and Hideaways. :)

Get answers to your questions about Haena