We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One lane bridge etiquette, revisited

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,885 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
One lane bridge etiquette, revisited

We just drove up to Haena from Poipu. We are running into the same problem as last summer.... on the first one lane bridge out of Hanalei, we waited over 20 cars before we could take our turn. We were the 4th car back. This happened on several of the one lane bridges going into Haena. Luckily, we were not in any hurry and enjoyed the scenery. It seems folks either have not seen the signs for 5-7 cars or have chose to ignore the "local custom". Anyway, for those of you coming up here, please be mindful of the number of cars in front of you as you pass over the one lane bridges on the north shore.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,683 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One lane bridge etiquette, revisited

Sigh...it drove us nuts in March. The signs are RIGHT THERE..please pay attention and COUNT! You paid for the trip so we assume you can freakin' count!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,885 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One lane bridge etiquette, revisited

Just wanted to remind folks and point this out to any first timers coming to the NS. :)

Edited: 22 June 2011, 03:11
California
Level Contributor
38,000 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One lane bridge etiquette, revisited

That's a good reminder, but gosh, I never have that happen. Maybe one or two extra cars, but 20? Sometimes you just need to start poking out so the cars coming over the way know to stop.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One lane bridge etiquette, revisited

Yes, we noticed the same thing last summer.

My DH loves it when I am screaming at cars inside our air-conditioned rental.

We'll be on island June 28.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One lane bridge etiquette, revisited

http://www.ivysplace.com/kauai-bridges.htm

3Chihuahuas

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,157 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One lane bridge etiquette, revisited

With all respect Martik, please come enjoy the multi-lane traffic backup in Houston. I always wave Aloha at my friend beside me waiting in the fray. The scenery is nice, but it not of Hawaii. LOL Marty :)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,339 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One lane bridge etiquette, revisited

Sadly, in my experience, just as many residents break the "rules" as visitors. Sometimes more. And it seems that no one anymore waves to the first car stopped on the other side as they pass.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,371 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: One lane bridge etiquette, revisited

Well let's hope they all check this forum before they head out the door.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,885 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One lane bridge etiquette, revisited

We were the 4th car back and my husband just starting counting the cars.... 15, 16, 17.... It was amazing. And not just on one bridge but several.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: One lane bridge etiquette, revisited

More people in the summer, more first-timers to Kaua'i. Hey, if tourism is up, it's (almost) all good. Plus if 20 cars are leaving Haena, that much more chance at a parking spot at Tunnels or Ke'e (not!). And I still wave to the first car on the other side.

But last month, I did breach the etiquette on the Wainiha double one-laners. I slowed down but didn't look carefully enough and didn't see that someone was waiting at the other end. He started across and I pulled over to let him pass at the island, with a very sorry look on my face--he was angry. Moral of the story: always do a full stop before the 2 long Wainiha bridges and look for traffic on the bridges and on the other side.

It would also help if the county cut back some of the vegetation so you can see the cars.