We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yesterday the beaches at Ke'e and Ha'ena were closed due to high surf and a shark sighting at Ha'ena.....just part of our winter weather conditions - check daily before going out to North Shore beaches please.

thegardenisland.com/news/local/high-surf-clo…

Malama Pono,

Janet

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

I understand reef sharks are quite common at Ha'ena (TUnnels), so that doesn't surprise me that one was sighted there. When I saw one there while snorkeling a couple years ago and tried to warn some locals, they sort of laughed at me and asked if I was a tourist---then swam right out to where I pointed. Next day in the local paper there was a picture of a reef shark that a diver had taken at Tunnels. He claimed they see them there often while diving.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,602 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

This was reported as a 10' tiger shark. Reef sharks will pretty much leave you alone. Tigers are another story entirely.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

I guess there was a tiger shark attack yesterday on O'ahu ...some surfer got a bite on his foot. A long way from Kaua'i though.

California
Level Contributor
36,398 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

Bethany Hamilton wasn't laughing when she encountered a shark at Haena a few years ago. The lifeguards only shut down the beach when a big boy is spotted.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

I wasn't laughing when I saw the reef shark, either! I was actually startled that my fears were triffled. I didn't recall the article mentioning the sighting was a Tiger shark, which definately rates closing the beach!

California
Level Contributor
36,398 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

I was referring to your remarks that the locals were laughing. I swam near a shark in The Great Barrier Reef and my heart is still pounding.

United States
Level Contributor
337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

the Garden Island website is updated to suggest that it may have been a Galapagos shark, but of course it's unconfirmed. I've done a lot of snorkeling and I've never seen A shark, I know I'm due for one someday! Eek!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,637 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

Yep, a Galapagos Shark, evidently an aggressive female (photo).

http://tinyurl.com/7j7aph5

I've never seen a shark while in the water either thankfully! But there was a Hammerhead sighted in Hanalei Bay, beach closed, etc. The next day the beach was open (shark was seen swimming out to sea) and I had to force myself to swim. It's hard not to think about them.

Last year hubby had caught a bonefish at Kahlihwai. He tried to release the fish, but it was not swimming well. It went towards the stream mouth. Hubby was going to try to chase it out to deeper water and next thing I see is hubby jumping out of the water (knee deep). Black tip shark (less than 4 feet) took a hunk of the fish, then came back and got all of it.

3Chihuahuas

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

10 years ago, when I didn't know any better, I took my daughter on a shark and ray feeding excursion in the lagoon surrounding Moorea. The participants were all encouraged to don mask and snorkel and get into the water, while the guides rigged a large piece of bait from a float, less than 15 ft away from us. It didn't take more than 2-3 minutes before there were 15-20 black tip reef sharks (all 3-4+ ft) swimming all around, sometimes within inches of us. Daughter loved it; scared the bejeezus out of me.

This morning, I put her on a plane to Kona, where she'll be for 3 months. We're planning to visit for a week in June. They don't offer those kinds of excursions on Hawaii, do they?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,637 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

No shark feeding. There is a night dive or snorkel with the manta rays in Kona.

3Chihuahuas