We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation home rental location questions

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation home rental location questions

Can anyone tell me anything about the location of this rental home:

http://www.vrbo.com/565728

It doesn't have a ton of info, nor any reviews. I'm traveling in late September with very young kids (infant, 2 1/2 year old, and 4 1/2 year old) as well as my husband and au pair, and would love to be able to be kid-walking distance to swimming/snorkeling without having to pack up the car (although we will pack up the car to explore too) - just to make life easier, and also makes for more fun when one is napping back at the house, etc. The house is absolutely stunning in the photos, and the location SEEMS great, although the owner/manager person mentioned construction next door :(.

On a separate note (relating to there being no reviews) -

The only other time I rented a home in Hawaii was also in Kauai, over a decade ago (on my 1st/only visit to Kauai) and to our horror, there were rats running on the ceiling beams above our bed. I only had the place for 2 nights (we stayed in a condo resort for the rest, but I thought a cottage rental would be fun) - and I didn't sleep at all for those 2 nights worrying that they would fall on our head. There were even cats on the property that clearly failed to do their job! Of course, this was at a different price point, but now I am wary and am trying to do a better job researching before renting! I may just splurge on the St. Regis instead (thinking of splitting stay 5 nights St. Regis / 3 nights Hyatt for the pools or somewhere else in the south).

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation home rental location questions

Below is another link about location. Not where map on VRBO implies but know that by description on VRBO.

http://holomakani.com/location.htm

Also see:

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g60611-…

Edited: 24 July 2014, 09:45
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation home rental location questions

Found in Kauai County property records and County TVR log the property name of Holo Makani LLC and owners name that matches what is in a link in post 1:

Address is 7324 ALEALEA RD

When you google map it indicate Hanalei HI but technically may be Haena.

TVR number is TV-1668

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
403 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation home rental location questions

The location is great but the beach generally isn't swimmable especially with your kids' ages. If you need a pool then st regis and hyatt are great options and are not as remote as haena. There's not many reviews of houses in general as many posters here have noted. At this price point I would certainly hope that there are no serious issues but I've stayed away from Haena in the past only because of the non-swimmable beaches for the kiddos.

California
Level Contributor
36,134 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation home rental location questions

I think the house is gorgeous, the location is very remote but beautiful and that spot could have calmer water but just not positive.The is an area close to Hanalei Colony that is just too rough, but a bit north is calm. I think I have seen this house but just not sure its the same one. Its unusual to have a pool in the house in that area.

I just returned from a brief visit to The Hyatt and your kids would love, love, love it!

The pool and lagoon is a 4 yr old's dream. Can you rent a secluded house and then the last 2 or 3 days stay at The Hyatt?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation home rental location questions

Thanks for your help!!!

The house is so gorgeous I would want it as my own, and the location LOOKS so perfect, and it would be great to have the room - I just have to figure out if it would be longer to walk to the swimmable area of the beach there vs. to the beach at the St. Regis? Also, the house has a pool, which is great, but also scary with a 2 year old who we'd have to keep a constant eye on. So confusing. And it is pricey, clearly (although it is lower than the advertised price).

I received notification from a separate inquiry that an Anini beach rental is also available: http://www.vrbo.com/511476

It is not as dreamy house nor setting but perhaps better for the kids in terms of swimming?

Or maybe I should just stick to the St. Regis 5 nights / Hyatt 3 nights plan. So 2 St. Regis regular Ocean View rooms including the resort fee per night is exactly = 1 night at the reduced rate at the first property, and about $180 more than the second property. However, the rentals have cleaning fees and rental fees that the hotel does not. On the flip side, maybe I'd save a bit on food (though I get 35% off food at Makena Terrace with my rate).

Either way I believe I'd try to do 5 nights at a house and end with 3 nights at the Hyatt with a decent rateI found on Hotwire, for the kids. Is that the right split?

SO CONFUSED! (To add to the confusion, I've been debating between this itinerary and visiting the Big Island for supposedly better snorkeling on the Kona-Kahala coast. Anyone been to both?)

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation home rental location questions

Also, I looked at the satellite images (thanks CTinAZ !) and I'm wondering if it is due to the rocky/reefy part that it isn't swimmable for kids, or because of the waves? I can see that it is about 10 houses down east either way to non-rocky entry, or around the tip/corner west for a small area without rocky entry. Waves would be fun for my husband, and maybe it wouldn't be too wavy in September?

Is it a long drive to town?

California
Level Contributor
36,134 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation home rental location questions

Its a 10-15 minute drive into Hanalei.

There are certain areas of Haena that are just too rough, period almost all year long. Many times it looks like a washing machine. You do not want to go in that stuff. The wind blows and the waves kick up going in all directions. Its beautiful to look at and falling asleep to this is nice, but for kids or non locals? Don't go in it.

I like your split but a word of warning about a Hotwire deal. You most likely will not get the best room. Often hotels have a room they can't rent and that's the one that goes to 3rd parties. To me its not worth the savings. Find a travel agent who gets the good rates for St Regis Hotels. They are called preferred agents, I think. They get you an upgraded room, daily food credits etc. I thought you said you had a nanny going. Where will she sleep? You would need another room and that is expensive babysitting.

There are so many fabulous houses around Hanalei Bay. That is where I would go. Calm waters, walk right out to the fabulous beach, great views. Check VRBO or Bali Hai Realty. You've got a big budget. You can find something in Hanalei unless you are fine being in Heana. It sure is pretty.

Another idea....

A house in Poipu for 5 days and 3 nights St Regis.

Artesia, New Mexico
Level Contributor
206 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation home rental location questions

The cove to the west you mention (by the YMCA camp) has a sandy bottom but is always pretty choppy even in the summer. Might be fun for you husband but not suitable for small kids. The beach access right by this house has beach rock lining it and there really isn't any access. The beach access on the east side of the neighborhood is a decent snorkeling spot in the summer not really a swimming spot as the reef is in pretty close. This house is in a fabulous area though...the scenery is quite stunning........we've been staying in this area for a number of years. For what they want per night you might be able to get closer to Tunnels though (you'd have to give up the pool though). The east side of Tunnels by the point has a nice sandy bottom and is usually calm in the morning (summer) before the wind picks up in the afternoon and you start to get a longshore current....its probably a half mile walk from this house to that point but its a slow slog as the sand is coarse and deep but it is a very pretty walk.

It is a 15 minute drive to Hanalei.

Good luck in your search.

Edited: 24 July 2014, 18:39
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation home rental location questions

We stayed in a rental cottage on Alamoo Road (very close to this house) in July 2007. We really enjoyed the location over all but the beach is very rocky and it was difficult for my kids to swim there. You can see the rocks clearly in the satellite photos. They ended up spending most of their time playing in the sand. For that kind of money, I would opt to stay in a bay front house ON Hanalei Bay. The beach will be much for child friendly, you will be closer to town (though I love staying in Haena). The house that comes to mind it this one: www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-cottages/nalub/

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation home rental location questions

Take the Ainni house and invite us over. That is a great beach for kids and the water is so close. Plus the house looks great to me.

Get answers to your questions about Haena