We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cool locally-owned places on Kauai

Seattle
2 posts
Save Topic
Cool locally-owned places on Kauai

I'm planning a research mission / vacation to Hanalei (and Kauai in general) this month, and I'm hoping to get some recommendations for cool places to visit.

We run the t-shirt company Desteenation Shirt Co. (http://www.desteenation.com), and our mission is to collect and sell t-shirts from some of the coolest, locally-owned (and loved!) places on the West Coast and in Hawaii. It's not a necessity that the establishment already have a t-shirt for sale, although it helps. Mainly, we're looking for places the locals love as much as the tourists do, and our goal is to promote these mom and pop gems through our stores and on the backs of their fans.

Anyone have some recommendations for places we should visit in Hanalei and Kauai as a whole?

BTW- I am not posting this as an advertisement for our business. I am legitimately looking for advice and local expertise. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
390 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cool locally-owned places on Kauai

Hi there ... my husband is a t-shirt collector (and used to work for a huge screen printer here in SF), so he's always on the lookout for cool tees.

You should definitely go to the Hanalei Surf Company and check out their stuff. Here's a link to their website: http://www.hanaleisurf.com/backdoor.htm

Enjoy your research and your trip!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,981 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cool locally-owned places on Kauai

Red Dirt Shirts, of course. There's a shop in Lihue.

Da UP
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cool locally-owned places on Kauai

I think Pohaku T's in Koloa makes their own t-shirts and other stuff.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cool locally-owned places on Kauai

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well if you are looking for t shirts that local folks would wear -- I'd definitely stay away from Red Dirt shirts -- honestly I don't know anyone who lives here who wears them -- they were kind of a fad when they first came out, but now they are pretty much a gift for mainland friends.

I'd second "Pohaku T's" here on Po'ipu Road in Koloa -- they have some very unique shirts, particularly with the pidgin sayings (Can, No Can) on them -- and yes I have seen quite a few local folks wearing them.

Honestly I can't think of any other t shirt places that would be a big thing with residents -- most of the surf shops, etc. are geared towards the visitors as well. There are some crafters that sell at various events that are VERY popular -- I just bought a shirt from one lady yesterday at the Lei Day at the Kaua'i Museum -- I have about 6 of her shirts, you see them all over the island -- asian applique designs onto t shirts, always with a chinese coin attached -- very unique and very Kaua'i!

Good luck!

Malama Pono,

Janet

San Diego
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cool locally-owned places on Kauai

I may be interpreting your request a little differently....

I would think a shirt of JoJo's Shaved Ice (in Waimea) or Hamura's Saimin would be what you are looking for...places both locals and tourist adore.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cool locally-owned places on Kauai

Aloha! If you are looking for locally owned T-shirt shops, you might try Puahina & Warrior Designs in Hanapepe Town, in addition to the shops mentioned above.

But it sounds like you mean locally owned businesses that would remind visitors and locals alike of Hawaii, how about...

Duane's Ono Charburger (Anahola)

Shrimp Station (Waimea)

Waimea Brewing Company (Waimea)

Kalapaki Beach Hut (Lihue)

Lappert's Ice Cream

Tahiti Nui & Tiki Man Pizza (Hanalei)

Duke's Barefoot Bar (Lihue)

The Bull Shed (Kapaa)

Pono Market in Kapaa (Deli & Marriage Licenses)

Kayak Kauai (Hanalei and Wailua)

Holoholo Charters (Port Allen)

Garden Isle Tattoo (Harbor Mall in Lihue)

Definitely Hamura's Saimin (Lihue)

How about Kong Radio, while your there?

Lihue Barbecue Inn

That's all that come to mind at the moment... too many to list. Is that the kind of thing your looking for?

Mentioned in this post
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Kayak Hanalei
Kayak Hanalei
321 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai By Stephanie
Kauai By Stephanie
123 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cool locally-owned places on Kauai

I forgot -- Kauai Kookie Konpany on the West Side, I think Eleele. My daughter bought tons of stuff there and a Tshirt on her last visit. They are nice folks in there. Also the Kauai Coffee Company in Eleele

How about Aloha Kauai Pizza in the Coconut Marketplace. Maybe the Hula Girl Restaurant, the Fish Hut. The Hukilau Lanai. All on the East Side

The Tip Top Cafe in Lihue (Akahi Street)

Sueoka's Store in Koloa?

Island Soap and Candle? (Koloa and KIlauea)

Banana Patch in Kilauea (Kong Lung) and Hanapepe

Kilauea Lighthouse (they take donations) famous for the red footed booby-birds.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kauai Coffee Company
Kauai Coffee Company
1,527 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Coconut Marketplace
Coconut Marketplace
890 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Kilauea Lighthouse
Kilauea Lighthouse
577 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cool locally-owned places on Kauai

Oops -- I keep forgetting places -- How about Banana Joe's or Mango Mama's Fruits stands along side Kuhio Highway on the north shore.

Seattle
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cool locally-owned places on Kauai

Thank you all so much. These are just the sort of suggestions we need! We'll be exploring all of these great places later this month.

Much appreciated!

Dispatch

Huntington Beach
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Cool locally-owned places on Kauai

I am not sure if some of these places are still there. But on the Hanalei side.

Hanalei Liquor Store

Tropical Taco

Blue Dolphin Restaurant

Hanalei Civic Canoe Club

these just a few places I remember I had Tee-shirts from when I was a kid.