We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small Hanalei or Anini vacation rental

Which Hanalei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Small Hanalei or Anini vacation rental

Seeking advice on a small (2 br. or a big 1 br. with sofabed or futon) vacation rental/cottage in Hanalei or within walking distance to Anini. Family of 4 with 5 year old and 2 year old boys. Looking for 7-10 days in December at Christmas time. Ideally, I would like something that has some outdoor space/grass for the kids to play. I love the idea of a little place in Hanalei where we could walk to beach or town. I have been through all the listings on vrbo and homeaway, the most suitable rental I have seen so far is Hale Maile at Cushnie Cottages (http://www.cushniecottages.com). We usually do the condo thing in Poipu, looking to try the North Shore. Hoping for some advice from local experts -- many thanks in advance!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,253 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small Hanalei or Anini vacation rental

There was a thread on a place that might be a good place for you on TA recently. I'm not familar with this place myself but some folks on the forum talked about in this post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k33694…

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,253 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small Hanalei or Anini vacation rental

BTW, you know that it tends to be pretty rainy on Kauai in December, especially the north shore. Does not mean it will rain constantly and the weather can be prefect. Just wanted to mention it....

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small Hanalei or Anini vacation rental

If I were doing the north shore in December with little kids, I'd go for Anini Beach. It is really is the only area up north where you can reliably count on calm seas. The water is very shallow there and the slope out is very gradual. Just stay away from the breaks in the reef, where there can be strong currents. I don't know what your budget is, but I would recommend Punahele Cottage, which is modertely priced and right across the street from a very good part of the beach. If you can fork over a bit more, Hale Kai further down the road is a great place. Punahele can be rented through Kauai Vacation Rentals and Real Estate and Hale Kai, I'd recommend you go to the owners, the Nakea family.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small Hanalei or Anini vacation rental

I think Punahele Hale could be ideal for you, too. Muffya stayed their with her young children and told me it was great. Big lawn then the beach right across the road.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,253 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small Hanalei or Anini vacation rental

Here is the website for some of the Anini rentals that kimocat mentions.

http://www.serenity-rentals.com/

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,253 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small Hanalei or Anini vacation rental

www.kauaivacationrentals.com/static/90.html

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small Hanalei or Anini vacation rental

Many thanks for all the suggestions! I will take a look at all these properties. I am considering the weather situation, of course weather in Dec. won't be certain anywhere, but I find when we stay in Poipu we never get up to the North Shore because the baby has no patience for sitting in the car that long, even with breaks it makes for a very long day for him. Thanks again!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,253 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Small Hanalei or Anini vacation rental

My kids always napped in the car on the way back from someplace, even my older son. You may find that you'll have to drive to Poipu to get to sunnier weather. There have been times that the rainy weather was island wide. That seems to happen to me everytime I come over in early-December.

Edited: 04 February 2010, 22:51
sacramento ca
Level Contributor
678 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Small Hanalei or Anini vacation rental

we rented Puanani from kauai vacation rentals. not fancy but we really liked it- 2 block walk to hanalei, 2 block to beach, nice yard

think i found it on TA

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
810 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Small Hanalei or Anini vacation rental

If you are still considering Hanalei. I would agree with the last poster to take a look at Puanani, as it has a great yard for kids and it close to both town and the beach. Hale Maile looks very charming, but I think it may be on the road going through town. Napili Properties also has some nice cottages that would be very family friendly in your price range.

As much as I love Hanalei and there was many young kids there last winter....oceanfront in Anini would also be wonderful!

Hard to go wrong! IMO