We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Sickness

4 posts
Save Topic
Sea Sickness

I might sound like an idiot asking this, but do people who normally have sea sickness on a motor boat also have it kayaking both in the ocean and in a river? Any information or personal stories would be helpful. Thanks!

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Sickness

I get seasick when the boat has a gentle roll. Zodiac type boats don't bother me a bit. I would think if you are busy paddling a kayak you wouldn't get sick.

Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Sickness

Take some ginger pills with you! Take one before you go and have more along...great to settle the tummy!

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Sickness

I am okay as long as the boat is in motion, up and down back to front doesn't bother me. But when anchored and rolling side to side gets me every time.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Sickness

I am quite prone to seasickness, car sickness, etc. But have kayaked on lakes, rivers as well as the ocean, and it didn't other me a bit.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
451 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Sickness

Same here....I get motion sickness pretty much anywhere, but kayaking has never bothered me. I did get a little sickly one time when I stopped and "bobbed" around for a few minutes, but when I started moving again, I was fine.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Sickness

I also am prone to motion sickness, and will get a little queasy if I stop paddling, but no problem as I move along. However, years ago, one woman in our kayaking tour did end of "feeding the fish".

7. Re: Sea Sickness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2010, 06:23