We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which N. Shore beach for "serious" swimming?

Germany
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Which N. Shore beach for "serious" swimming?

I will be staying in Hanalei first week of August. I am currently training for a triathlon with an ocean swim (my first race with an ocean swim!) and what better place to get some practice than Kauai? I hope to swim "laps" about 30-45 minutes 2 or 3 mornings. Is there a beach that would be better suited for this? I know North Shore beaches are much calmer in summer, but guidebooks seem to suggest that many are still pretty rough for swimming, and I don't want to get in the way of surfers, etc. I would prefer to have a lifeguard nearby, as I'll be swimming alone. I will be in walking distance of Hanalei Bay but don't mind driving to another beach if it is more suited for swimming. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jess

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,096 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which N. Shore beach for "serious" swimming?

I think you're right by the best beach for this - Hanalei Bay. I oftentimes see folks swimming laps here. It's shallow for quite a ways out, can be quite calm on some days, calm enough on others, it's lifeguarded, it's huge and it's a sandy bottom. No worrying if you're going to come up against a reef scraping your chest. I honestly can't think of a beach better suited for this on the north shore.

Heading South, if you're in the area, you should check out Kalapaki Bay too. It might be a little rougher but it might have some flat days too. Again, I see people swimming long distances here. One time I was watching a woman, with my binoculars, swim the entire distance out to the opposite side, the Ha'upu Range side, and back. I wouldn't recommend that as that's where the ships come into port but it was pretty amazing to watch.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,786 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which N. Shore beach for "serious" swimming?

My husband is also a triathlete and swims all of the time on Kauai. He usually stays in Poipu and does his laps in Kuku'iulu Small Boat Harbor. But he suggests Hanalei Bay, to the left of the pier at the end of Weke Road. We went to Hanalei Bay last summer to the far right, at the other end of Weke Road. It was quite calm over there as well and he did quite a bit of swimming there, too. Another place he suggests is drive out to Ke'e Beach (you'll need to get there fairly early to park) and swim there as well.

Not sure where your triathlon is going to take place but the ocean swims here in California involves entering the ocean with a fair amount of waves. If this is the case, you may want to venture down to Poipu and practice swimming into the waves at the beach in front of the Sheraton. There is a triathlon every year in Poipu and the ocean swim takes off in front of the Marriott Waiohai.

California
Level Contributor
37,472 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which N. Shore beach for "serious" swimming?

I can see people swimming laps in Hanalei Bay right now. It's the perfect spot but last year a really nasty storm came rolling through all the island in August so check the daily forecasts.

They have showers and as stated lifeguards at some of the areas.

Enjoy my favorite beach.

California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which N. Shore beach for "serious" swimming?

Jebett--Did you see me wave to you this morning? Happy 4th, everyone.

California
Level Contributor
37,472 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which N. Shore beach for "serious" swimming?

Was that you on the stand up paddle boards? Ha Ha!

Gorgeous rainbow, no?

Happy 4th to you and your family.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which N. Shore beach for "serious" swimming?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Glad you made it here safe and sound "Jebett" - Happy 4th to you!! Are you going to watch folks shoot off fireworks at Hanalei Bay?

We are going out to Kekaha for their little celebration at Faye Park - there is music, hula, food and CRAFTS! lol!

As far as swimming laps for training - one that hasn't been mentioned yet (altho' it is certainly NOT on the North Shore) is Salt Pond Beach Park in Hanapepe -- it has a rock-walled swimming enclosure that is perfect for training - as "Martik" mentioned as well...here on the South Shore Kukui'ula Small Boat Harbor is also an excellent area to do this.

I'll let those folks who live (or spend much time) on the North Shore answer for that area - but I would also think that Hanalei Bay around the pier area would be the best place for this.

Happy 4th of July - beautiful, beautiful weather here - sunny and light tradewinds!!

Malama Pono,

Janet

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,065 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which N. Shore beach for "serious" swimming?

Lydgate has a rock-walled enclosure that might work well for you. I wouldn't recommend Ke`e, as the bay is kind of small, the reef a bit shallow, and it's likely to be crowded.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which N. Shore beach for "serious" swimming?

I too would nix Ke'e. It's usually full of snorkelers, and someone swimming laps is likely to run into one of them. That's inside the reef. Outside the reef it too dangerous, in my opinion, no matter what the surf conditions.

Edited: 04 July 2010, 23:31
California
Level Contributor
37,472 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which N. Shore beach for "serious" swimming?

Hank:

Do you know who is allowed to use the new pool at The Princeville Makai Course? A bit off topic but if someone wanted to do laps and the ocean was too rough I was wondering about their new pool. I see water is now in it.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,786 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which N. Shore beach for "serious" swimming?

<<I too would nix Ke'e>>

My husband has swam at Ke'e numerous times but before the crowds (and snorkelers) show up. (That's why I mentioned going early). He also goes out farther than most of the snorkelers are willing to go. Since triathlons usually start very early, most folks that train also swim earlier to get used to the ocean conditions, etc.