We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanalei Bay Resort or Sea Lodge?

Majorca, Spain
Level Contributor
30 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Hanalei Bay Resort or Sea Lodge?

We have narrowed our search for five nights in October to HBR or sea lodge. Both look good and we are finding some condos that are quite well priced through agents. Anyone familiar with the area have any suggestions? This is our first trip to HI. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
37,641 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort or Sea Lodge?

I am very familiar and can tell you the differences.

HBR is a large complex of 136 units around 22 acres. Many of these units are timeshares but 57 are privately owned. Let me know the ones you're looking at and I can tell you if they are nice or not. HBR has a very pretty lagoon looking pool, small fitness center, bbqs, tennis courts and a path to the beach below. The units are quite large. A one bedroom is around 1200 sq feet. Many condos have gorgeous views of the mountains and bay. Bali Hai views are premium.

Sealodge is down the street and overlooking the ocean and some condos can see the lighthouse. The outside is unusual. It looks more like a condo on the cape. The thing that appeals to many who stay at Sealodge is the price and of course the view. The one bedrooms are smaller than HBR's. You want to rent an upper unit. For the price they are a good deal.

HBR and Sealodge are different so you need to decide if you want a larger resort with beautiful pool and more amenities or Sealodge for the budget and nice views.

Majorca, Spain
Level Contributor
30 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort or Sea Lodge?

We found 1514 at HBR and it is being offered for 89 plus a cleaning fee. I also see the resort charges check in fees, though don't know if that is the case if you rent this unit. It's a bit confusing. Sea lodge has many units similarly priced, also with a modest cleaning fee. We just need a clean and nice place to come take it easy after a nice long day out and about. Thanks for your quick reply and thoughts!

California
Level Contributor
37,641 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort or Sea Lodge?

I would feel more comfortable private messaging you about 1514.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort or Sea Lodge?

$89 only at HBR? All I can say is you usually do get what you pay for. Owners are indeed offering discounts but that price would actually scare me away and wonder what's wrong with the place.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort or Sea Lodge?

Aloha Condos has some incredible rates at HBR this year and from our experience, you don't have to be afraid to grab one! They are re-furbishing and reestablishing many of the units in the market, so much is new and Kristen was very good to work with. My son was in 7201 - at the extreme end of the grounds - but what a room! Beautiful, with Bali Hai views and perfectly fitted out - at $89. Incredible value!

SO, if you are finding great rates with reputable companies, don't be afraid to try. Do the usual homework (recent pictures & reviews) and you should be fine. Resort fees apply to unit at HBR, at $5/nt.

There are well-known owers/units on VRBO and Summit Pacific that you should check out, as well, for your dates. We are return renters for HBR 4222 which also has an attached smaller unit. Extremely well maintained, beautiful units. You couldn`t go wrong there. So call owners, ask for details! You never know what you may be able to do on your budget.!

Edited: 23 July 2010, 15:05
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort or Sea Lodge?

Well okay, looks like I may have to take back my comment about the $89 price tag.

California
Level Contributor
37,641 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort or Sea Lodge?

The $89-99 rates are for the hotel room style units which 1514 is. Alohacondos is "heavily" discounting those and you can find good deals for last minute (within 60 days) on other sites. Some are definitely better than others. Some have great distant bay views and a few are located closer to the parking lot. 1514 is neither. It is in the back of the resort.

Not all the Aloha Condos rentals have been redone.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,385 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort or Sea Lodge?

We stayed in Sealodge D9 last summer and were very pleased with it. But as jebett pointed out, the two complexes are much different. For us Sealodge met our needs very well - a clean, comfortable, well-equipped room with great views at a reasonable price. We don't spend a whole lot of time in our room and we really don't care about a pool. The condos aren't real large, but certainly quite adequate for 2.

HBR would be more of a resort feel, but you will definitely pay a bit more for comparable facilities - a room with a full kitchen and washer/dryer.

At either complex, individual units will vary greatly, so make sure to find reviews on the particular units you are interested in.

Southeast US
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort or Sea Lodge?

There are many lovely condos at Sealodge--the buildings are built in a single line along the bluff, so units have great views. All are either one or two bedrooms, no hotel-style rooms.

For any rental, I would recommend closely checking photos on websites and seeking information from recent visitors...

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort or Sea Lodge?

If you are looking for moderate priced lodging, you can get more for your money at Sealodge. HBR has a lot more amenities and the premier units have views to die for -- but you have to pay for those. Given a limited budget, I would probably go for a Sealodge unit with a lovely ocean view over a an HBR unit with no view.