We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebration dinner

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Celebration dinner

I am looking for a nice restaurant to host a dinner for 14 people shortly after Christmas 2010. Most are staying at the Hanalei Colony Resort.

I have contacted Postcard's and they have "semi-private" seating on the side deck for this number of people at $75 per head. I have heard mixed reviews of what the side deck consists of - any thoughts from someone who has been there and seen it with their own two eyes?

Any other suggestions?

We are doing the Luau at HCR the next night, and I know that is catered by Mediterranean Gourmet, so I thought eating there the night before might be redundant.

Other places I have considered are Hanalei Dolphin, BarAcuda, but unsure about the ambiance.

Thanks for your advice!

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebration dinner

I love BarAcuda and they do have an out dining patio for larger parties.

I wouldn't do Postcards. There is also Buschon's in Hanalei and Lighthouse Bistro in Kilauea.

You are taking a big chance being out at HCR that time of year. Make sure you stock on groceries in case the bridges close down.

Bay Area California
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebration dinner

I have seen Postcard's with my own two eyes like you asked. I wouldn't do it for a couple of reasons. First on one end it is right beside the entry were all the guest come in. I didn't think it was that nice of a setting. Second on the other end it is in front of the bathrooms! Yup while I waited for one to open up I got to stand and stare at all those people eating. I wouldn't want to be the people seated near these doors. Last we were not impressed with either the food or the prices.

I think the Hanalei Dolphin is a bit informal from what you described that you are looking for. Of the ones you've picked I'd say BarAcuda is the best. Now I haven't eaten there but I've seen it many times and the outdoor patio is very nice. Heard a lot of good reviews from people on this list. It is however tapas so that could get a bit pricey with a big group. You might call them and see if they have some kind of a deal for large groups.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive you might also want to consider Hukilau Lanai in Kapaa. One time I saw they had a large group seated by themselves in a bar area that was open on one side that was very nice. Also fantastic food with reasonable prices. My favorite place on the island to eat.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celebration dinner

I love Hukilau Lanai, but I would not like the drive back to HCR -- and don't even think about drinking. Of your other choices, I agree that Bar Acuda would be the best. $75 a pop for the porch at Postcards is ridiculous. But if you are thinking high end, then you might look at having a personal chef do something for you. But make sure they have a tent, because you can have rain that time of year.

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celebration dinner

Thanks for the advice.

Hukilau Lanai is closed the day we are looking at.

I worry about Bar Acuda being a Tapas bar. I think it could add up quickly.

Being a 'high end' restaurant is not a necessity, what we really want is a place to be able to sit and enjoy each others company, with good food. We had thought about the private chef - but that seems really pricey.

I welcome any other restaurants people have enjoyed!

We thought about a picnic on the beach, but got worried about weather...

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celebration dinner

Well, if you were willing to drive to Hukilau Lanai, maybe you'd be willing to drive a little farther to Plantation Garden in Poipu. It's in a beautiful setting and I know they host big parties. We eat there every year.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Celebration dinner

I agree with kimocat. BarAcuda would be my first choice. Though the menu is mainly tapas they do have larger items on the menu as well. Maybe you can call them and arrange a special menu for your party. Otherwise, hiring a private chef is a great idea. We plan on doing just that on 12/26 for a special anniversary dinner for our family of 15.

If that's not an option, call Tahiti Nui. They have a small covered outdoor patio in the back that can be used for a party....I think. You'll have to double check that. The place is totally casual but the food is noteworthy, especially with their newish Italian chef. The bar itself is loads of fun. Some say it's a dive which I guess can look it to some but mostly it's a casual, local bar with live music. They also have an adjoining wine bar, Iti, which might handle a private function. It's certainly worth a call.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,710 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Celebration dinner

<<We are doing the Luau at HCR the next night, and I know that is catered by Mediterranean Gourmet, so I thought eating there the night before might be redundant.>>

The food served at the luau is much different than what they have on their regular menu. I would contact the owners of Med Gournet and talk to them about a special menu. They have the perfect, private dining area for 14 people. And their regular menu is fabulous if you don't want to do a special menu for your group. I think the ambiance would be perfect for a private party of 14.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Celebration dinner

I'm guessing that the dinner menu at the Mediterranean Gourmet is quite different than the luau dinner. Since you're staying right there, the simplest solution would be to use that restaurant for your celebration dinner as well. Convenience is definitely worth something, and many folks would drive quite a distance for the oceanfront dining there.

Edited: 10 August 2010, 07:42
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,710 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Celebration dinner

<<and many folks would drive quite a distance for the oceanfront dining there.>>

LOL!! We are actually spending a night at HCR just so we can have dinner at Mediterrenean Gourmet! This Friday......

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Celebration dinner

Here's other ideas.....

Roy's Tavern at Princeville Golf Course is due to open in a week or two. Hopefully someone can comment on the menu shortly. I will be on the island in October and it is on my radar to try. Also I heard the old Saffron's Restaurant (at Pali Ke Kua) is reopening, but I haven't heard any buzz as to when. Maybe someone staying in Princeville soon can find out.

Call BarAcuda because I think they will do a special dinner for large parties. I had a guest who had their wedding dinner there. She did not have tapas served. The only trouble with that outdoor patio area is if its rainy and wet the mosquitos will eat you alive. How do you say, "pass the Off" in Hawaiian???

Lighthouse Bistro is just not talked about on this forum, and though there is no view or ambience, I like the plantation style building and I think the food is very good. They have a pretty good pasta bar. Nothing fancy, but good.

One of the problems staying at HCR is the drive back at night, so it sounds like you are going to have to make a long trek no matter what.

Oh I thought of one more place!!! Tahiti Nui's wine bar next to the restaurant. We had a private party there (it was closer to 25) but it was very good and fun. TN is another idea, and it is a hoot to go there. The wine bar is called Iti and again is tapas but they served pizza to us too. It was excellent.