We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking Napali Coast

Which Hanalei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kayaking Napali Coast

We're going to be staying in Hanalei for several days at the beginning of August, and we're interested in possibly kayaking the Napali Coast... I've done a bit of research into the companies, but I keep seeing mixed reviews. Has anyone done this recently? Which company would you recommend going with?

Thanks!

1. Re: Kayaking Napali Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 June 2011, 11:35
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,497 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking Napali Coast

Sorry Jay , but this forum is for Hawaii related questions.

3. Re: Kayaking Napali Coast

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 June 2011, 16:35
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking Napali Coast

I went with Napali Kayak a few years ago and had a great (but tiring) day. It's a 17 mile kayak from Ke'e beach to Polihale Beach, then they drive you back to the north shore. Be warned that it is a long, hot, tiring day. I applied sunscreen every chance I got, and still got badly burned. Buy one of their long sleeve SPF shirts before you go and try to cover your legs too. (We wear those shirts all the time now, they're great for sun protection and dry super fast.)

If you're expecting an easy paddle where you just sit back and take it all in, take a boat or rafting tour instead. But if you really want to explore the caves and see Napali up-close while getting a serious workout, it's a fabulous day. I'm very glad I did it. Do I want to go again? Probably not for a while.

It's all about your expectations going into the trip. I've read a lot of the reviews when people were unhappy with their day. For the most part they didn't realize how physically taxing it would be. I think the guides are great and I never felt unsafe or left behind. On our tour, the guides would trade off and split couples who were getting tired or falling behind. We capsized once but they were very nice and didn't make us feel like idiots trying to get back in the kayak. The bathrooms are gross at the beach, but that's not their fault. You will be tired, and just when you think your arms are going to fall off, there's Polihale!

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking Napali Coast

I believe there are only 2 companies that do this tour: Kayak Kaua'i in Hanalei and Outfitters Kaua'i from Poipu. I'm not sure how either works out for the shuttling, but I imagine they both handle people all over the island.

I have done the trip on my own before, though I got a ride back with Kayak Kauai's van. So I can't really speak to either company. Like sioux33 said, I got the impression the guides are pros, this is the real ocean and they have to always get everyone back.

Yes, it is very, very, very tiring, second only to backpacking 11 miles to Kalalau valley with a full pack. But it also has some of the most amazing views if you are in shape for it.

For an easier kayaking trip, you can't beat the Wailua river and waterfall hike.

Senggigi, Indonesia
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayaking Napali Coast

I'm sorry Jet,,

Have a greed time....

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kayaking Napali Coast

Erica has done the napali ocean kayak twice with Outfitters...17 miles .

they actually go thru special training, including how to recover from a huli and the proper method for getting back into the kayak. They practice this several times. And , yes, there is a proper and easy procedure.

Physical fitness is very important as should be prior kayaking experience, know how to paddle in all situations incuding beach landings through surf. 90 % of the visitors that I see kayaking just on our rivers, have no clue. Sorry folks, that is fact.

It is a long day....and even tho you end up at Polihale....for kayak kauai, there is no short cut, you must ride in their van all the way back around the island to the north shore .

Outfitters : This is some serious paddling, yet they do take breaks and one beach landing for lunch at Mo'oli'i , and then on to Polihale.

She loved it....her day with them vanned up to haena beach park on the north shore for the put in...they tow the kayaks behind on a trailer.

At Polihale, they come in thru the surf, and stack the kayaks on the trailer for their ride back to outfitters base in poipu.

I picked her up at about 8 pm that evening ......long day....and took her out to robs good time bar for a steak dinner and a couple of libations. She was in good shape and no problem, and had super fun both times....and slept mighty well both of those nights .

Never underestimate any natural wonders on kauai, hiking, snorkeling, surfing, swimming, kayaking, etc.

Denny

8. Re: Kayaking Napali Coast

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 01:18