We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanalei or Lihue?

Which Hanalei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pasadena, California
6 posts
Save Topic
Hanalei or Lihue?

Hi,

Trying to plan a trip to Kauai and trying to decide what part of the island I should stay at... Hanalei or Lihue? Actually i was wondering how long is the travel between the two? I'll be staying in Kauai for 7 days.

Thanks,

Nad

Edited: 24 August 2011, 01:33
Kensington, Maryland
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Hanalei or Lihue?

Just realized your trip is over....sorry. I thought you were referring to 2012. Hope you had a great time!!

Montana
Level Contributor
113 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hanalei or Lihue?

I agree that if you're looking for R and R, the North Shore is a much slower pace than the South Shore with far fewer people the two times we were there. We stayed in Hanalewhich you didn't mentioned, but I didn't see anywhere in the Lihue area where I'd want to stay. On our 2nd trip to Kauai we absolutely LOVED hte North Shore. We stayed on the South Shore on our first trip.

We loved the North Shore so much, in fact, that we didn't even venture out of the area once we got there because we were soaking up the beach on Hanalei Bay, standup paddling the Hanalei River, hiking on the NaPali Coast (although we only went the first few miles), etc.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,306 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hanalei or Lihue?

The choice should be really between Princeville (North) and Poipu (South).

There are not many accommodations in Hanalei itself unless you intend to rent a house.

We love Hanalei, but when we stay there it is usually with my BIL in a huge house he rents, right on the beach. Princeville we are not so wild about. To me it is a golfing community built up on cliffs. The only places with a beach really are the St. Regis Resort and the Hanalei Bay Resort.

The Hanalei Colony Resort is great, but it is out side of town about 10 minutes or so.

Poipu has great beaches and is very walkable in the resort area.

Look at the link below and decide which area will be best for you.

www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
52 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hanalei or Lihue?

Just go to fish express in lihue and you are good for your drive.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
919 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hanalei or Lihue?

Scottca075 Sealodge has its own beach very secluded and great snorkeling

Edited: 17 March 2012, 04:03
California
Level Contributor
36,130 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hanalei or Lihue?

Old thread......

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hanalei or Lihue?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Did anyone notice that this thread is from August of last year?

Boy, I wish that TA still had that 6 month inactive rule to close topics down.

Malama Pono,

Janet

18. Re: Hanalei or Lihue?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2013, 09:19