We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitoes in february?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
mosquitoes in february?

Are there mosquitoes in Hanalei bay in February?

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitoes in february?

Of course...it's the tropics and you are asking about one of the wettest spots on the island. Mosquitoes don't bother me at all, but they attack my wife with a vengence! Buy some wipes or spray when you get to the island. No need to pack the stuff.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitoes in february?

The coldest it ever gets at sea level here is about 60 F for an hour or so in the middle of the night one or two days in Feb. There is nothing to kill off insects as we really have no winter frost even at the top of the mountain.

California
Level Contributor
38,017 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitoes in february?

I don't think its bad though. Maybe at dusk and if you are hiking. I have never been bothered by them down at the bay.

I buy the wipes, too, and carry them everywhere. I find when I dine outside like at BarAcuda or Cafe Coco, I need them.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitoes in february?

Yes, Kauai has mosquitoes. We keep a can of spray in the beach bag.

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitoes in february?

We spent four days of our trip on the North Shore, and eight hours on the Kalalua Trail. I got three bites on the trail, and maybe two for the other three days combined. And I am the mossie magnet! Would I pack or use mosquito dope? Nope. Not in Kauai. But I am used to Minnesota Mosquitos which would easily give me 30-50 bites a day mid Summer, which would definitely call for the stuff.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitoes in february?

Different shore, but I find that the mosquitos usually make their presence known after a rain, and about late afternoon early evening. We have a fairly dense jungle out back, only a few step from our entry door.

I usually have problems , with little black mosquitos, or biting somethings, and they flock to me also....and never bother Erica.

Uaually, it is when we are having our nightly dinner out on the lanai, and I sometimes have to spray around the ankles and put on a pair of long work out pants, and a football jersey.

When out on the trails , I have been bitten, but the irratation seems to go away in a fairly short time. Usually, by the time we drive from the trailhead down to a lunch and beer reward, it is gone.

Not sure if we have the same type of biters as the north shore, but that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Tayor, in minnesota, now, he has some really tough bad boy mosquitos to deal with. Much more impactive than our aloha types that we have on Kauai. Wimp, that I am, I would probably be packing a couple of holsters of dynamite kill everything within range of my huge containers of bad okole bear spray.

dont undestand why Erica never gets bit....I have been ravaged on certain islands in the caribbean, and those are the noseeums.....I am covered, and the admiral is totally free of any bites or discomfort.

Denny

Edited: 28 November 2011, 23:26
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,376 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquitoes in february?

Milwkid, as I remember moquitoes in Minnesota were jokingly referred to as the state bird.

Yep, they were huge. And everywhere. I remember as a kid being in the large public chlorinated pool and diving underwater to avoid them.

I don't even notice the Hawaiian version of mosquitoes.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquitoes in february?

those that don't get bit much think the rest of us are whiners. Those of us that are mozzie candy keep spray handy just in case and sometimes wish for a little karmic retribution along the lines of the entire mozzie population flipping their preferences to the other half.

nothing worse that being trapped in a restaurant waiting for food and having 20-30 mosquito bites in 10 min.

9. Re: mosquitoes in february?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 December 2011, 17:05
California
Level Contributor
38,017 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mosquitoes in february?

Scientists do know that genetics account for a whopping 85% of our susceptibility to mosquito bites. They've also identified certain elements of our body chemistry that, when found in excess on the skin's surface, make mosquitoes swarm closer.

"People with high concentrations of steroids or cholesterol on their skin surface attract mosquitoes," Butler tells WebMD. That doesn't necessarily mean that mosquitoes prey on people with higher overall levels of cholesterol, Butler explains. These people simply may be more efficient at processing cholesterol, the byproducts of which remain on the skin's surface.

Mosquitoes also target people who produce excess amounts of certain acids, such as uric acid, explains entomologist John Edman, PhD, spokesman for the Entomological Society of America. These substances can trigger mosquitoes' sense of smell, luring them to land on unsuspecting victims.

webmd.com/allergies/…are-you-mosquito-magnet