We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delays at Hanalei Bridge area - Saturdays for next few weeks

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Delays at Hanalei Bridge area - Saturdays for next few weeks

Aloha from Kaua'i!

This is a traffic advisory from the County of Kaua'i that I received:

NOTICE TO MOTORISTS: Traffic delays near Hanalei Bridge on Saturdays Oct. 20-Nov. 17

Traffic delays will take place on Kuhio Highway adjacent to Hanalei Bridge on Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. from Oct. 20 through Nov. 17 while crews work extra hours in the hopes they can complete slope stabilization work by Thanksgiving.

Motorists are advised to expect slow-downs of up 30 minutes. Please exercise caution while driving through the area and allow extra time to reach your destination.

The Department of Transportation and all construction workers extend a sincere mahalo for your understanding while they continue to make Kauai’s roads better for all of us. For more information, please contact the Department of Transportation, (808) 241-3000.

Malama Pono,

Janet

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,238 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delays at Hanalei Bridge area - Saturdays for next few weeks

Ahhh, just in time for our visit! Looks like we'll allow a bit more time to get to the Hanalei Farmer's Market :-)

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
37,447 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delays at Hanalei Bridge area - Saturdays for next few weeks

They said the same thing when I was there last time and I never waited more than 5 minutes. We shall see!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delays at Hanalei Bridge area - Saturdays for next few weeks

We were through there last week, don 't remember day, but worked OK. We were stopped with maybe 20 other cars, both ways, but at least they stopped us before bridge.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,238 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delays at Hanalei Bridge area - Saturdays for next few weeks

DOT doesn't have anything about the road construction at Nawiliwili Rd & the hwy. Is that done (finally)?

http://hawaii.gov/dot/highways/roadwork/kauai

3Chihuahuas

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delays at Hanalei Bridge area - Saturdays for next few weeks

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes, all that mess at the intersection of Nawiliwili Rd. and the highway is pau finally - hooray and whoopee!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delays at Hanalei Bridge area - Saturdays for next few weeks

3 chis...

Came home from LIH airport to banyan harbor and the road construction is at the bottom of RICE now...big deal....and those sign guys ...and traffic held up for a bit. Near the Harbor Mall area.

The digin' and fixin, at the base of nawiliwil near the park is completed at this time...

For those not familar, from the main hwy, Rice strreet goes down toward nawiliwil harbor, where the base of the road curves and becomes nawiliwili road and takes you back up to the hwy near kukuigove shopping center.

Sometimes, we get a little impatient with our road construction here, but I just returned from souther calif and orange county. I landed late at LAX, and was on the 405 at about midnight roaring along slowly at 75 mph, and being passed like I was standing still.

Nearing Orange County and the 605 connector...the many, many lanes were reduced to ONE lane, and the traffic dead stopped. I got off on the connector to the 605, and in about a mile took the surface streets, got lost, and had to be vectored in to my friends home inhuntington beach.

Whew...made it.....they had a coldie in my hands we we sat up talking story until about 3 am.

Yep, going to just sit back and enjoy our kauai island style of easy driving, and beautiufl green scenery. Well, at least that is my thinking at this time, we are headed up north to princefull for a little stay cation next week, and will be using the hanalei bridge along with the rest of the folks.

Denny

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
789 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delays at Hanalei Bridge area - Saturdays for next few weeks

Oh, I saw that "slope stabilization" work when were there earlier this month. By the looks of it, this is NOT a trivial project. Those guys are working hard under some pretty restrictive and difficult conditions. Hope it works!

Is this one of those projects where the dry conditions in Kauai this year made this a great opportunity to do the work, or is it just fortuitous timing? I can't imagine them trying to do this project in the wet!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delays at Hanalei Bridge area - Saturdays for next few weeks

Koloa girl, it looks like this will be when we are in Princeville area. Is the bridge work just on Saturdays? And is the bridge location between Princeville and Hanalei? Thank you for the heads up:)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delays at Hanalei Bridge area - Saturdays for next few weeks

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes, the County of Kaua'i traffic advisory that I got indicated that the work is on Saturdays and is close to the Hanalei Bridge - so would be between Princeville and the town of Hanalei...

Malama Pono,

Janet

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delays at Hanalei Bridge area - Saturdays for next few weeks

Just in case anyone is confused, It isn't just Saturdays. I think that notice was to indicate that in addition to the regular work days they're working Saturdays too.

Took us about 10 min this afternoon, but we just missed the turn over by about 5 cars.

Allow extra time to go anywhere on Kauai at the moment. There are work crews all over the place repairing water lines, paving roads etc etc. They're either rushing to beat winter or there's a push on to look good before Nov. 6