We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Hanalei Bay swimmable over Thanksgiving week?

Willamette Valley...
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Hanalei Bay swimmable over Thanksgiving week?

Hello travelers! My family of 4 is planning a trip for 9 days over Thanksgiving week this year. We usually stay at Kapaa or Poipu when on Kauai but we all fell in love with Hanalei on our last day trip

to the North Shore a couple of years ago. We are looking at renting a 2 bedroom home in Hanalei within close proximity to the beach and would spend a lot of time in the water. My girls are 12 and 15 and love to play in the sand (still) and are constantly in and out of the water when we are in Hawaii. I know the surf is rougher on the North Shore in the winter months and am concerned about them being able to get in the water often while we are there. One is a decent swimmer the other not so much and they tend to stay waist to chest deep when in the water or are floating on something inflatable. Since we will not have a pool and the ocean being our only source of fun in the water, I wanted to ask and get some feedback?!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,131 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Hanalei Bay swimmable over Thanksgiving week?

Maybe. Maybe not. Odds are, not.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Hanalei Bay swimmable over Thanksgiving week?

Two local experts, two different opinions: my impression is that Hanalei Bay is swimmable in all bit the worst swells (15-20 feet) because it is so well protected by the shape of the bay and the reef at the entrance. However it does depend where in the bay, some parts (like the south end with the PineTrees surf break) aren't so sheltered, whereas the area just south of the pier is.

But unfortunately for Thanksgiving getaways, late November is the beginning of our winter storms, and you have a chance of wind, rain, and brown water from the rivers.

California
Level Contributor
37,641 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Hanalei Bay swimmable over Thanksgiving week?

I agree with kauaihiker. Close to the beach and Black Pot Beach is usually fine. Its further out that can get crazy rough. Stay close to the pier and the girls should be fine. I was there last November a week before Thanksgiving and it was fine. Like any time of the year, ask the lifeguards and follow the ocean reports.

Boogie boarding should be great!

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
381 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Hanalei Bay swimmable over Thanksgiving week?

We have been 3x over the Thanksgiving break and stay in Princeville to enjoy Hanalei beach...we love to body surf and boogie board and Hanalei is our favorite place to go even during the rainy season. BUT, you have to know that rain could be an option and that some days may not be a good day to go to the beach...if you are flexible to do other things if its raining and schedule around it, it has worked for us. One thanksgiving the waves were perfect 3-6 feet for us and our last visit was more like 1-3 feet, not as fun but we made the best out of it... We are water people and have a car so, we would go look at the beach to check conditions before we made a commitment to lug our beach gear to the beach...if it looked too rough or too flat we would skip and drive north to Tunnels or Ke'e and go snorkeling instead.... on the way back from snorkeling we go check the beach out again and if the waves look good we were back in. If it ends up being super duper rainy- we make our visits to the south on those days. Also on our last visit it wasn't as clear and sunny as I had liked but to us the north shore is so dang beautiful and because we love the water so much its still worth it to us to be on the north shore. We really love all of Kauai and I guess we don't even mind doing the driving around the island if it looks too rainy. Also be prepared that looking at the weather online it may say rain everyday and it may be true but sometimes its a mild rain in the morning or evening and it goes away for a nice day. I use to freak out about seeing the forcast and we just made it work for our family. If you think that not so sunny skies will dampen spirits then I would stay south and not risk it.... if you think you can work with the weather and plan around it ...go for it

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Hanalei Bay swimmable over Thanksgiving week?

I suppose I've just been lucky because I've had good experiences there at that time. In fact last year in early December I was downright surprised at how flat it was and that was about mid-point of the bay. I know this was not typical though so don't hold me to it. Because the bay is so deep,you can count on it being better than other places with huge waves pounding the shore. And, yes, the closer you are to the eastern end the better. Even if the surf is down it could overcast and raining though. Just another factor that might matter to you.

6. Re: Is Hanalei Bay swimmable over Thanksgiving week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 05:18