We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mediterranean Gourmet Luau: Yay or Nay

Which Hanalei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Mediterranean Gourmet Luau: Yay or Nay

My mother is coming with me, my hubby and our daughter to Hawaii (Oahu and Kauai) in September. It will be her first trip to the islands so my husband recommended I take her to a luau. She is older and would like to do the touristy/cheesy things but I could careless for a luau. I've been to Paradise Cove prior and while the location is nice and the show decent, the food was below average: I hate to spend that kind of money for essentially cafeteria food. If I had my way, I'd skip it but I want mommy to have a good time.

I would really like to go to the luau at Royal Hawaiian in Honolulu but its only on Mondays and we will be in Kauai. I thought about Smiths but appears to be kind of similar to Paradise Cove and I don't want to drive back to Princeville from Kapaa on the dark roads with the little one.

Initially, I planned dinner our first night at MG but I did see there is a standing luau on Tuesdays. Has anyone been? And would it be a suitable replacement for Paradise Cove? If all else fails, I'll suck it up and take her there for the Honolulu portion of our trip.

Thanks guys!

Edited: 01 August 2013, 05:28
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,966 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mediterranean Gourmet Luau: Yay or Nay

The luau at Med Gourmet is indoors, quite small and intimate. It is not a big production.... not Vegas style as some would say. Price is lower than most, food is typically good for a buffet. Depends what you are looking for... also it's about as far as you can go northwest, in other words one lane could close bridge territory.

We'll be there next month as well. Never been to Paradise Cove so can't compare.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,220 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mediterranean Gourmet Luau: Yay or Nay

I've been to the MG lu`au several times. It's more like a family party than a glitzy commercial lu`au. Good music, dancing and food, and they don't water the drinks. I just took a guest there earlier this month, and she loved it. Reserve in advance, and get their early. Seating is first come, first served.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mediterranean Gourmet Luau: Yay or Nay

We've been to most of the luaus on the island and this was our favorite. Small venue, excellent food, great entertainemtn, etc. And the drinks are NOT watered down! It's not a spectacular stage show like some of the other luaus on the island. We loved it and had a great time. Arrive early for the best seats.

California
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mediterranean Gourmet Luau: Yay or Nay

Ditto martik. We've been three times to Med. Gourmet luau and think it's the best.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mediterranean Gourmet Luau: Yay or Nay

Ditto martik here, too. We have been at least four times to Med Gourmet. It is the only one we now consider worth returning to - and as pzp, we enjoy taking our visitors when we can.

I think your Mom will thoroughly enjoy herself - and most likely you, too!.

California
Level Contributor
35,534 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mediterranean Gourmet Luau: Yay or Nay

I've also been to MG's and Smith's many times. I would not say Smith's is Las Vegas style and MG's definately isn't. I enjoyed it but I wasn't as ga ga as some on the forum about the food. I usually love my meals at MG, but the night I went it was meh! They ran out of alot of food and to me it was okay but nothing special. The mai tai was good. The show is very enjoyable. Saying its like a family party is a good description. The fire dancer is very good. If you sit close by watch out. I like to sit mid way. After the show the dancers all come up to you and talk. I loved that. MG's luau has something for everyone and if you've been to the big production on another island, then this is perfect. The Las Vegas style one is at Kilohana Plantation. It appeals to the cruise ship crowd. That would be a far drive, but Smith's is only about 45 minutes away from Princeville. MG is about a 30 min drive.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mediterranean Gourmet Luau: Yay or Nay

Let me throw out another idea since luau food are buffet food, and are generally meh...

Why not consider going to (Polynesian Cultural Center) PCC on Oahu instead. Food is not good, but you could do the afternoon activities, have dinner elsewhere then come back into PCC for the "Ha: Breath of Life" show which is considered the best Polynesian show in Hawaii. The cheapest PPC package that includes the "Ha: Breath of Life" show also includes a dinner buffet for $69.95. (As I mentioned earlier, food is not good, but you can drive elsewhere for dinner.) Same price as Med Luau but you get a lot more Polynesian entertainment. One rub is that PCC is dry... i.e. no alcoholic drinks. If you want kalua pig then upgrade to the island luau for $5 more.

If Hawaiian food is what you are after, then go to some local food places. I do not know where on Kauai, but try Helena's Hawaiian Foods or Ono Hawaiian Foods on Oahu.

And if you decide to just suck it up and take your mommy to a luau, then also consider another alternative for the experience which is Hale Koa luau right in Waikiki for $49.50. Again, not good food, but it is the cheapest luau with decent entertainment. They give reservation priority for military first before taking non-military, but they usually have room for non-military. Just check with Hale Koa when you are there on Oahu.

Edited: 01 August 2013, 14:44
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mediterranean Gourmet Luau: Yay or Nay

I've been to the Med Gourmet the last two years, and love it. It really is a family affair, with dad, mom, daughters, in-laws, nieces, etc. performing. But it's much less the touristy-cheesy type luau you say your mom would like than other commercial luaus. So I'm thinking that you should do the luau elsewhere, and take her down to Tahiti-Nui in Hanalei for an evening while you're on Kauai. Food's not much, if any better than at most luaus, but the place at least feels authentic, the music is good, and it's not unusual that you'd see some hula there.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mediterranean Gourmet Luau: Yay or Nay

Thank you everyone - your advice and opinions were extremely helpful. I am definitely leaning towards the luau at MG. A smaller environment is right up my alley but I think my mom would appreciate it more given the intimate setting. And it will be more manageable with my kid who will be 16 months by this time.

I'm not a huge fan of Hawaiian food (don't shoot me please) so not expecting to be blown away, but it has to be edible for the price I'm paying. I found the food at Paradise Cove not appetizing, and I would hate a repeat of that: I think it was close to $100 pp, maybe a little over.

And definitely hitting up Tahiti-Nui, I will change it for our first night instead of MG.

Edited: 01 August 2013, 16:59
10. Re: Mediterranean Gourmet Luau: Yay or Nay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2014, 06:19