We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanalei Lodging Question

Northern California
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hanalei Lodging Question

Hi all, me again..

http://www.vrbo.com/216633

Has anyone stayed (or at least driven by) here? It seems to be one of the few rentals that is relatively close to Hanalei Bay Beach (and not actually in Princeville or nearby) that isn't WAY expensive. I am REALLY getting happy about the idea of staying in Hanalei instead of the easier (to find/afford/book), more affordable Kiahuna Plantation. Any input greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

California
Level Contributor
9,636 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanalei Lodging Question

It looks like a cute place and has good reviews. I think it sounds like a good deal!

Northern California
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanalei Lodging Question

OMG How many questions can I post!!?? Another one...what do people say about Hanalei Colony Resort? (Not Hanalei Bay Resort) How is the beach that fronts the HCR? I am reading mixed reviews...THANKS again!!

California
Level Contributor
9,636 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanalei Lodging Question

We've stayed at Hanalei Colony Resort a few times and love it, but the beach in front is not good for swimming; also, it is now pretty expensive--much more than Kiahuna Plantation.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,857 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanalei Lodging Question

I am with 22kauai - looks cute and in a very walkable area. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanalei Lodging Question

Not at Hanalei Colony Resort, but we have stayed twice at Hale Makai Cottages, about 100 yards west down the beach, where we often saw guests of HCR coming to swim. It's not very good there either, but there is a small section of relatively calm water, and the snorkeling is surprisingly good.

Northern California
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanalei Lodging Question

Never mind, all, about HCR, we kinda need a "swimmable" beach. Still taking input on that vrbo house, though! Yes, does look good...only concern is that the owner is running a daycare on the first floor...then again, the little buggers have to leave before dark, eh? :)

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanalei Lodging Question

What time of year is your trip? Staying in a cottage in Hanalei where you can walk to the beach, stores, and restaurants is pretty much perfection in my mind... at the right time of year. Princeville can be less expensive and is close buy with some perks of its own... like resort pools, hot tubs, tennis courts, etc. Little of this little of that... Poipu is also a good choice since at Kiahuna you are beachfront and handy to everything as well.

HCR is remote, unplugged (for the most part), and well near is not on a swimming beach. It's also costly for what it is. Reviews are very good though.

California
Level Contributor
37,017 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanalei Lodging Question

She runs a daycare center out of the first floor? That would be a big fat NO in my book. Do you know what time the kids arrive? Probably 6 or 7am. Would totally not be ok for me. I don't care how much you want to be close to Hanalei Bay. Having kids screaming, crying, cars coming in and out all day would drive me nuts. HCR is quiet, remote and has awesome views, but it is not swimmable. They are also expensive.

I think this is expensive, but we have a few TAer's who love this place and the location is terrific. I always walk by and am curious.

www.hanaleisurfboardhouse.com/compare.html

California
Level Contributor
9,636 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanalei Lodging Question

I love the looks and location of the Surfboard House. Here's another one that's a little less; my son stays in this neighborhood--a 5 min. walk to the beach. http://www.cushniecottages.com/

Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hanalei Lodging Question

http://www.vrbo.com/53871.

This is where we are staying and we're SUPER excited! Such a good deal, too!