We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest method of transit to the airport?

Which Hanalei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest method of transit to the airport?

Hi there! I am coming to Kauai in October and am very excited about it. I'm traveling with a ton of friends, but for various reasons I am leaving earlier than they are. We don't yet know if someone will be available to drive me to the airport on my day of departure. Any suggestions for cheap-ish transit to the airport for a solo traveler?

Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest method of transit to the airport?

From where (I assume Hanalei area but can you be more specific)? and what time of day?

Taxis aren't cheap but there are some shuttles that are a bit less pricey. You might be able to use the Kauai Bus if you have a tiny amt of baggage.

kauai.gov/Government/…Default.aspx

Edited: 03 September 2013, 07:05
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest method of transit to the airport?

Yes, Hanalei- near Hanalei Park. My flight will be at 4:30 PM on a Thursday.

I've been looking into the busses just in general for getting around... none of my friends who have been to Kauai have used them, but seems like a decent system!

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest method of transit to the airport?

Be sure to check restrictions on what you can take on the bus in the link jebett provided.

To take the bus from Hanalei to airport you will need to transfer to another bus when you reach Lihue per my understanding.

Look over the schedules and then call or email the transportation agency at the contact given in the following link to make sure the time frame and transfer point is appropriate for your circumstance.

kauai.gov/Government/…Default.aspx

You also mention you are thinking of taking the bus to get around the island. Depending on what you are planning to see you will likely need to rent a car or pal around with your travel companions that have a car.

California
Level Contributor
36,056 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest method of transit to the airport?

Call Experience Kauai.

http://kauaishuttles.com/

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest method of transit to the airport?

Yes, do check on what you are allowed to carry on a Kauai Bus, Jbett is giving you the straight scoops.

The cheapest way is out of your huge group someone will share some true aloha and drive you to the airport and and maybe they could stop for a special dinner at the hukilau lanai in Kapa'a on he way back, and have a very special dinner out.

Otherwise there is no cheap mode of transprortation from Hanalei to the Airport. Unless you hitchhike .

The reason that we say to check the baggage restrictions on the Kauai Bus, is several years ago, Erica and I were day visiting up north, and it was time to head back to our condo in Lihue where we live. She wanted to check out Tropical Tantrums after we had enjoyed a super day kayaking , and exploring.

I do not shop, so I had a beer at the hanalei gormet, and walked out on to the lawn in the school house shopping village. A young couple was standing out by the highway with their hiking back packs looking a little dismayed.

So, I walked over to say hello. Turns out that they had been camping up in the Kalalau Valley and just hiked the many miles out and were trying to get to the airport. They had hitched a ride from the trail head into hanalei. The Kauai bus would not take them due to thier back packs. Now they have a plane to catch.

I told them that we would drive them directly to the terminal at Lihue Airport, but we had a small trunk in our RX 8, and their packs may have to ride on their laps. Erica came walking up, and also shared Aloha with them, and we got them and their back packs and camping gear into the car and off we went.

Yep total strangers, and having the situational awarness that they might need some help let us live aloha

and assist them out of a substantial problem of missing their flight. They had no rental car, or large group of friends.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest method of transit to the airport?

What a sweet story, Denny - true aloha indeed! Travelergal, have you priced car rentals? You can probably rent one for a week for just a bit more than what the taxis will charge to take you to the airport, and then you'll have your own set of wheels for exploring the island.

Check out discounthawaiicarrental.com; Priceline is a good option if you're not picky - don't write off renting a car until you've looked at the options.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest method of transit to the airport?

Hello everyone,

Apologies for not acknowledging your replies sooner! I must not have properly turned on the notifications for this thread (and didn't proactively check it, which was silly of me). Thank you for all of your thoughtful and thorough replies.

I think I've managed to snag a ride to the airport from one of my friends that will be staying with me. If that falls through somehow, I suppose I will take the shuttle service that jbett posted.

I do have a follow up question about the Kuaui Bus, generally speaking. I was considering renting my own car, but would prefer not to in order to save a little money (this trip is proving expensive!!!). So I am trying to figure out if I could take the Kuaui Bus as an occasional means of transit to get around to different parts of the island. I found the schedule online, but can't quite figure out how close the busses come to my actual rental house. Any tips on where to find a map of the routes?

Great tip about the bags, by the way. Wouldn't have guessed that- we can take all sorts of things on the public transit out here!

Thanks again, everyone! Counting down the days to my October trip.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 07:27
California
Level Contributor
36,056 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest method of transit to the airport?

Figure the busses stop along the Kuhio Highway. Grab a map and you can see where your house is vs the bus stops. It certainly is not convenient and the stops aren't close to many visitor attractions, but if you wanted to get to Kapaa for instance, it can be done.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,612 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest method of transit to the airport?

I've used Speedi Shuttle. Have paid about $38 one way to the airport from Poipu.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheapest method of transit to the airport?

Hey, taking it to Kapaa is better than nothing! Thanks for your help. Hoping not to need the bus, just trying to figure out my options.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 06:29