We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanalei Bay Resort vs town of Hanalei!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Hanalei Bay Resort vs town of Hanalei!

I am torn between where to stay when visiting Kauai. We are visiting the week of 11/16, 6 adults and 2 kids.

I am in love with the views of HBR and the pool will be great for my 9 year old. However, it's a resort and we can't walk to town and beach.

I am also looking at a house on Hanalei bay, but no view. But we can walk to beach and town.

Can you please help me make up my mind. Which one is a better option?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,928 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort vs town of Hanalei!

Hanalei. Will the kids even miss a pool if they have easy access to Hanalei Bay?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
417 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort vs town of Hanalei!

In the summer it would be a no-brainer to recommend staying in Hanalei since the bay is basically a massive swimming pool. I'm not too sure about November conditions though - I think swimming conditions should be OK near the pier but may be rougher on the rest of the bay.

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort vs town of Hanalei!

Well you can walk to the beach if you stay at HBR. Its down a paved path and you go to Puu Poa Beach which is shared with the very expensive St Regis Hotel. Now saying that (and I will be at my place at HBR in Nov) I adore the homes in Hanalei. A pool is fun and yes your kiddo would enjoy the one at HBR, but the bay is just beautiful. You will need to be concerned about the waves getting bigger so stay near one of the lifeguarded beaches.

The views from many HBR condos are pretty spectacular and if you need advice on which ones are the nicest, let me know.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort vs town of Hanalei!

One week from today we'll be waking up in Hanalei (woo, that rhymes...). We're staying in a house (Papio Place rented through Bali Hai) with no view but easy access to town and beach, and I doubt my 3 and almost-5 year olds will even think about a pool. Of course, we're spending the last two days of our trip at the Grand Hyatt, and I'm pretty sure we won't leave the hotel because they will want to spend the whole time in the pool!

While a week is a little short to split your stay, the weather in November may be iffy - so planning a couple days on the South Shore could (almost) guarantee sunny days. We were cautioned that Hanalei Bay could even be rough in late September, so you never know when the ocean will decide to get wacky.

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort vs town of Hanalei!

I love blue's plans for a 2 night stay at The Hyatt (that is what we used to do) but oh boy 6 adults and 2 kids means 3 rooms. You could rent a really, really nice beachfront house for what you pay at The Hyatt.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort vs town of Hanalei!

So true, Jebett - I missed the total group number in that suggestion! We're getting two rooms for our group of six but they're both free using Hyatt credit card award nights and Ultimate Reward (Chase) reward points.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort vs town of Hanalei!

You don't give the ages of your kids and what their likes are. This is a very personal thing and all we can do here is tell you what we would do but that may not apply to you and yours.

You've got the situation down pat. Now you get to decide based on the ages of your kids, if you think they'd prefer the daily beach over the daily pool. Some little ones are intimidated by waves. Some kids just plain old like pools better as much as we beach-lovers here might find that hard to believe. And remember, if you stay at HBR you still can get to the beach. If you stay in Hanalei your access to a pool is shot.

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort vs town of Hanalei!

We rented a house in Hanalei last October with another family (5 adults, 4 kids). No view but a 5 minute walk to the beach. We really liked the low key style of having our own house. The kids never got tired of the beach, even on days when there was no swimming. We had looked at staying at the resort, but wanted to be able to walk to town and the beach. We liked it so much we are going back this year (next week!).

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort vs town of Hanalei!

I absolutely would not count on being able to swim in Hanalei Bay or any other north shore beach in November. If the house does not have a pool and your kids like to be in the water, go for the condo. I bought into the "you don't need a pool with the ocean right there" sentiment a few years ago. Rented a house on Hanalei Bay for a week in late May. Red flags were out on all the beaches. We were able to drive to and use Anini Beach twice.

For us spending time in the car driving to and from a south shore swimming beach was not an attractive option.

The weather and ocean conditions are way too variable,..and that can be true any time of year. Only go for the house if you are willing to accept the possibility that there will be no nearby water activity. For people who have a pool at home or live near a beach this might not have as high a priority as it does for me.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort vs town of Hanalei!

I just noticed you have 6 adults and 2 kids only. So what are the other 5 adults saying? I sure wouldn't want to be making this decision for all of them, if I were you.