We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Swimming Beaches-North/East shore

Pismo Beach...
3 posts
Save Topic
Best Swimming Beaches-North/East shore

We will be in Kauai for a week from August 20 for a week and will be staying in the Hanalei area. What we really enjoy is swimming in the ocean.

Can anyone let us know what are the best beaches for swimming mainly and maybe snorkeling. We might even want to kayak on the Hanalei river, has anyone done that.

California
Level Contributor
9,639 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Swimming Beaches-North/East shore

Hanalei Bay, Lumaha'i Beach, and Ke'e are my favorites. No snorkeling at Hanalei Bay. Yes, I've kayaked on the Hanalei Rver --very pretty!

California
Level Contributor
37,021 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Swimming Beaches-North/East shore

You can also go out to the ocean from Hanalei River. Anini is another terrific beach to visit.

Pismo Beach...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Swimming Beaches-North/East shore

Thank you, we are looking forward to getting wet.

Pismo Beach...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Swimming Beaches-North/East shore

Thanks for the input, I will try Anini

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
621 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Swimming Beaches-North/East shore

We had great snorkeling at Tunnels and Ke'e. Hideaways can have good snorkeling, too. Love Hanalei for playing in the water. Don't miss pats taqueria (food truck by the pier in parking lot). Best tacos ever!!! And Pinks! Great owners and yummy homemade yogurt (by owners) and Maui made icecream!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,780 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Swimming Beaches-North/East shore

Anini! Great swimming, hit-or-miss snorkeling. Can be decent.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 22:06
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Swimming Beaches-North/East shore

Really no good swimming beaches on the east short other than the protected area at Lydgate. For swimming, Hanalei Bay will be your best best. Anini will be a good option, too. For snorkeling, Tunnels and Ke'e. While that is the best snorkeling on Kauai,I would definitely not describe it as "great", especially compared to what you would find on the other islands, particularly the Big Island. While my wife and I enjoy snorkeling on Kauai, I just want to make sure your expectations of the quality of the snorkeling are realistic..

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,003 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Swimming Beaches-North/East shore

For swimming, North...Kalihiwai or Hanalei..no snorkeling because of sand bottom.

Snorkeling/swimming, North...Anini, Makua (Tunnels), Ke'e.

Kealia, East (there is a semi-protected area) may be calm enough for swimming. Also Morgan Ponds at Lydgate Park.

Don't miss out on Salt Pond out of Hanapepe on the West...great place to swim. Po'ipu and Lawai on the South for snorkeling.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,780 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Swimming Beaches-North/East shore

On the east side, the north end of Kealia is quite nice for swimming.

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Swimming Beaches-North/East shore

Kahalahala is great - just a little west of Hanalei (look for cars parked along the road uphill from beach). It has a sandy bottom - much easier on the feet than Tunnels, Ke'e, etc. - and a semi-circle of rocks forming a sheltered swimming hole.