We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Kauai

lov
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
208 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Kauai

Hello- I am traveling by myself this time. Can you please tell me if there is unsafe area that I should be really aware of? Thank you. I hope it's pretty safe anywhere. How about evening?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Kauai

lov

Taveling alone on kauai, or anywhere: Good on you for thinking ahead.

You should not have any problems at the resort areas.

here are plenty of people and other visitors present.

However:

Do not hike alone on most of our trails. But this is a good plan at any time, anywhere. If I cannot make a hike that Erica wants to do, she will arrange going with a guided sierra club hike, or ask someone else to buddy up with her.

Do not swim/snorkel alone. Now, if at the beach and you want to go snorkeling, and have checked the conditions, you might just ask someone if you can kind of tag along, since you on are your own.

Hopefuly with someone who knows what they are doing.

Regardless, follow the ocean saftey rules and tips.

This is one of our main safety rules.

Suggest you do not go walking on some of our beaches late at night. Sunset at the resort beaches will be just fine, but later in the evenings even some of those beaches can be fairly deserted.

You might also stay away from Nawiliwili Park later in the evenings, and pass on Hanamaulu Beach area

( which you would not normally go there in the first place ).

Other than that, you should not have any bad situations occur on the Garden Island.

We follow the above easy procedures, and never had a problem. There will be plenty of things for you to see and do all over Kauai.....just stay smart.

We see solo women and men, and they are having a great time.

Denny

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Kauai

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Really this is a very safe place in general -- I've lived a couple of other places and this is the only place I've ever lived that I simply don't worry about crime. Unfortunately most of our crime is either domestic or drug related - so it isn't likely you would be a victim of crime. Visitor crime is very rare here.

But really just general common sense type stuff really -- don't hang around beach parks where groups of folks are drinking.

While some of the resort beaches would be fine to walk at night -- some of our local parks would probably not be a great idea -- periodic drug activity at some of them unfortunately -- I'd say give a pass to Hanama'ulu Beach Park, Nawiliwili Beach Park, Glass Beach (at night).

Try to park in places that are well lit and where there are lots of others -- if you decide to frequent some out of the way spots and see broken windshield glass on the ground - probably not a good choice of parking!

Just basically use common sense - Kaua'i is one of the most crime free places around and it is doubtful you would have any problems here!

Malama Pono,

Janet

3. Re: Safety in Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 19:16
Get answers to your questions about Kalaheo