We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Shore Beaches

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
East Shore Beaches

Hi,

What is the longest beach on the east shore and nice for taking a long walk?

My husband want to stay somewhere on the East Shore. Not to concerned with a beach that is swimmable but something that we could take a nice walk. We have a budget somewhere around 100.00 to 200.00 a night. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Shore Beaches

There is a lovely beachfront sidewalk that meanders from its starting point at Lae Nani on the south end to?? (How far does that path go now?) anyway, quite a long ways. Lae Nani would be a nice spot to stay. If you want a bit more economical, the Islander on the Beach is also in that area.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,904 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Shore Beaches

Aloha from Kaua'i!

As you already know, there are no "swimmable" beaches on the East Side of Kaua'i - except for Lydgate Park - there is a pathway that goes around the Lydgate/Kamalani Playground area that is great for walking/biking - there are some condos there, I always forget their name - anyone?

The other would be the Ke Ala Hele Makalae trail - which is a fantastic walking/biking/jogging trail that runs along the ocean on the East Side in Kapa'a

- here is a website that tells you about it:

www.walkinginfo.org/library/details.cfm…

There are many condos and vacation rentals along this pathway - it runs all the way up to Kealia Beach on a concrete pathway - pavillions dot the pathway for shade - incredible views of the ocean from all along this path.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: East Shore Beaches

The path that kimocat mentions near La Lani is currently not considered part of Ke Ala Hele Makalae ('The Path that Goes by the Coast'). The re is a coastal walkway starting at property boundry of Lae Nani and Kauai Sands but currently that paved walk along the coast ends at Beachboy, behind Coconut MarketPlace, not too far away. (At least that was my experience)

The following web site has more info about Ke Ala Hele Makalae.

http://www.kauaipath.org/

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Shore Beaches

I know the pavement endsd there, but you can continue to walk across the grassy area next to the beach and the path begins again at the Makaiwa. I just don't recall how far you can go after that.

The paths on the east side are nice, because the beaches there are not that easy to walk on -- too much slope, not very wide and soft course sand.

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Shore Beaches

A few years ago, my wife and I stayed on Aliomanu Bay, which is just north of Anahola. We'd rented the upper half of a top/boottom duplex, called Hibiscus Hale. You can find it at:

http://www.kauaialoha.com/reservations.htm

It was a really quiet, mostly residential, area. I took a nice long walk almost every morning. All the properties on that website seem very reasonably priced. It HAS been a few years, so I can't speak to the current condition of the places, but its a nice area to get away from it all.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,068 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Shore Beaches

There's a lovely little condo complex called Kapa`a Sands on the east shore on Papaloa Road. If you can get in, get an oceanfront unit; the surf will be about 20 yards away. You have to be willing to deal with a Murphy bed - a standard Queen size that goes up into the wall - but we've always found them very comfortable. Plenty of room for a couple, full kitchen, balcony and maid service. Many, if not most, of the units have been redone in the recent past. My only complaint would be the small - well, tiny - bathrooms. Other than that, we always stayed there when we used to visit. They get $150/night.

www.kapaasands.com

You can PM me if you want more details.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: East Shore Beaches

Best long beach walk on the east side would be from Lydgate Park southward. It's quite a long distance. You can either drive and park there in the lot, or if you are staying at the Aloha Beach Hotel, Kahalani, Kauai Beach Villas or the Hilton, the beach will be right there.

Another great beach walk is Anahola Bay. If you're not staying there, my suggestion is to drive up to the north end of the bay, down Aliomanu Road (north of Duane's Ono Charburger) and turn left to follow the road toward the north end of the bay. There will be a couple of turnouts in the road for fishermen parking. You can park your car here, walk the crescent bay, wading acrosse the stream and return back to where your car is and hardly see a soul in the mornings. Just watch the tides - best at low tide.

I always suggest morning for walks so the sand isn't too hot. But if you get a late start and the tide is going out, you can often walk near the water, where the sand is a bit more packed.

If walking on the sand isn't what you had in mind, the multi-use path is definitely a wonderful way to get some exercise while enjoying the beautiful coastline on the east side. Whether jogging, walking or biking, it's a wonderful asset the east side has.

Economic lodging is easy to find nowadays. I think that Wailau Bay View condominiums are down to $130 per night and are a great value, right on Wailua Beach, which is a wonderful morning walk down to the river and back. Once in a while you can wade across the river and continue on through Lydgate park, and Nukoli'i Beach. If the tide comes back up before you return, you can walk across the Wailua Bridge, but it's a dangerous endeavor in high traffic times. Sticking to just Wailua Beach to the river and back is enough to stretch your legs for an early morning or evening walk.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,068 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Shore Beaches

Another good, long beach walk is Anini Beach. Nice firm sand that's easy to walk on.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East Shore Beaches

the longest beach in my mind is Lydgate. You can start from the Kaha Lani condos and walk a mile + to the Hilton and back on a nice beach. Either end offers decent accommodation at the price level you're looking at or less.

The whole "eastside is unswimmable" is overblown as well IMO. When the seas are calm many people enjoy those beaches same as Poipu. There's little reef protection so when the seas are up it's not good swimming, but again, the same goes for Poipu. Drownings occur even at the best protected beaches when people don't respect conditions.

10. Re: East Shore Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 08:17